Director of Finance - Guatemala
International Justice Mission (IJM) is seeking an experienced financial manager to serve as the Director of Finance (DoF) and support IJM’s fight in Guatemala against sexual violence against children. The successful candidate will be an exceptionally talented CPA with a passion for justice and a desire to use his or her abilities in service of IJM Guatemala’s mission. The DoF will provide sound strategic financial planning; build, develop and mentor a service-oriented Finance team; and foster an office culture of good stewardship and accountability. He or she will also lead all operations of the Finance team such as budget development and performance analysis, accounting, accounts management, general ledger, payroll, taxes, and financial reporting and compliance. The DoF will be part of the national leadership team and will collaborate with a variety of internal constituents. This position is based in Guatemala City, Guatemala, and reports to the Field Office Director, Guatemala.
- Exemplify mature, authentic Christian discipleship and servant leadership;
- Foster a culture of spiritual health, service and integrity; and
- Continually lead and encourage field office personnel to prioritize their own spiritual formation and Christian discipleship as they engage in the work of justice.
- Collaborate with members of the leadership team in strategic, operational and program planning;
- Oversee budgeting, budget implementation and monthly budget performance;
- Manage all accounts, ledgers, and reporting systems;
- Manage cash flow and forecasting, and ensure availability of petty cash and cash in bank to support continuous field office operation;
- Manage all banking, vendor and tax- or finance-related governmental relationships, and initiate appropriate strategies to optimize them;
- Keep the Field Office Director informed of, and offer advice regarding, key financial metrics on a regular basis (cash flow, actual-to-budget, etc.);
- Serve as a partner to, and respond proactively to the needs of, members of other field office teams. Lead the Finance team to provide effective, timely and responsive support and service to field office personnel;
- Keep Finance team current on all changes in applicable finance-related laws, regulations, standards and best practices. In coordination with headquarters, continuously update finance policies and procedures (including internal controls) in order to reflect the same;
- Develop an effective program of communicating and enforcing finance policies and procedures through making the same available in Spanish, conducting trainings, issuing reminders/clarifications, etc.;
- Review all finance forms for validity, accuracy and completeness prior to approval, and ensure timely processing and recording of same;
- Review payroll calculations and deductions -- IGSS, ISR and others -- from employees’ salaries twice a month and ensure payment of “Bono 14” and “Aguinaldo” as established by Guatemalan law;
- Oversee the preparation of, review for accuracy and completeness, and ensure the timely submission of the monthly finance packet and other reports required by headquarters, the government of Guatemala and other entities;
- Maintain documentation of accounting entries required by local regulations which are added to IJM’s accounting records in a separate ledger and reconcile changes between records monthly;
- Ensure the accuracy and completeness of QuickBooks entries;
- Ensure the review of all checks and transfer-supporting documents before their entry into banking system for authorization;
- Act as alternate to the Accountant in posting transactions to QuickBooks;
- Act as backup to the Cashier for cash custodian responsibilities; and
- Respond to inquiries pertaining to finance matters.
- Deepen the office culture of good stewardship and cost-effectiveness;
- Coordinate all audit activities and follow-through on audit exceptions, if any;
- Perform non-routine internal audit procedures on an as-needed basis;
- Ensure financial compliance with grant requirements where applicable; and
- Provide expertise in the investigation of possible financial irregularities, if any.
Other Financial Management Functions
- Ensure timely renewal of registrations and permits;
- Act as liaison with external parties on all finance matters; and
- Perform other duties as required, necessary and/or assigned by the Field Office Director.
Develop National Leaders
- Serve as a model of servant leadership for all IJM staff;
- Actively nurture and mentor leaders under his/her responsibility; and
- Provide regular feedback and evaluation to IJM staff under his/her responsibility regarding their performance and development.
- This position is open to Guatemalan nationals.
- This position requires full-time residence in metropolitan Guatemala City, Guatemala. Significant travel is not anticipated.
Required Skills and Experience
- Proven ability to serve as a spiritual leader and mentor;
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting with CPA license;
- At least five years’ experience in accounting and financial management;
- Exceptional leadership skills demonstrated during a minimum of three years of successful team management;
- Excellent people skills, demonstrated through collaborating with and supporting colleagues in a multi-disciplinary, diverse, and dynamic organization;
- High-level proficiency in English (both written and spoken), including accounting and business terminology. Fluency in Spanish;
- Experience with electronic financial systems;
- Knowledge of QuickBooks a plus but not required;
- NGO work experience a plus but not required; and
- Experience managing US government grants a plus, but not required.
- Mature orthodox Christian faith, as defined by the Apostles’ Creed;
- Confident and humble servant leader;
- Sound judgment combined with keen analytic and problem-solving skills that support sound decision-making;
- Professional presentation in demeanor, communication (written and oral) and work product.
- Exceptionally high level of honesty, and integrity and transparency;
- Meticulous attention to details;
- Active listener and impactful communicator;
- Ability to achieve challenging goals in a cross-cultural setting;
- Demonstrated ability to handle stress and conflict appropriately and effectively; and
- Disciplined with priorities.
Send a Job Application Form with the following documents:
- Letter of Interest, CV, Statement of Faith, and contact information for four References (2 job supervisors, 1 colleague or subordinate, 1 pastor or spiritual mentor).
To protect the poor from violence by rescuing victims, bringing the criminals to justice, restoring survivors to safety and strength, and helping local law enforcement build a safe future that lasts.
Receive Instant Job Alerts
Vice President, Information Systems
"I am able to use the skills gained from over 30 years in the IT field, in everything from usability of a screen on the Web site to how to plan a project, with the overall goal of enabling the people in the field to be as effective and focus as much time as possible on relieving victims and prosecuting perpetrators."
Support IJM Now
Your gift enables IJM to bring rescue and restoration to victims of slavery, sexual exploitation and other forms of violent oppression.