Director of Investigations, Dominican Republic
The Director of Investigations will be responsible for conducting and monitoring investigations of commercial sexual exploitation in our Dominican Republic field office. The Director of Investigations will liaise with local law enforcement officials to ensure that they intervene to rescue identified victims and arrest and charge the identified perpetrators.
This position is based in Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic and reports to the Director of Casework, Dominican Republic, with a dotted line reporting to the Field Office Director, Dominican Republic and the Director of Investigations and Law Enforcement Development based at IJM Headquarters.
- Based on stated objectives, help to develop and then implement location-specific investigative strategies and tactics;
- Enforce IJM HQ investigative protocols and propose additional locally specific protocols;
- Recruit, train and supervise an investigative team of approximately three investigators, as well as investigation interns and volunteers; and
- Develop the leadership and management potential of key agents.
- In consultation with the legal team, manage daily investigative operations, ensuring that projected activities, outputs and objectives are achieved;
- Develop and manage a network of informants who can provide specific, credible information regarding cases of violent oppression;
- Develop and manage a network of operatives who can be mobilized to gather relevant information and evidence as directed;
- Develop and cultivate working relationships with key enforcement authorities;
- Develop and manage a full-time, in-house investigations unit that: gathers information from informants; directs operatives; gathers and analyzes evidence; presents such evidence to the police in a coherent and convincing manner; advocates for the police to take proper action; monitor such police action; and serves when appropriate as a witness to the crimes committed and perpetrator arrest;
- Ensure that: IJM investigation team members have clearly defined job descriptions and performance objectives; agent performance is monitored; and appropriate job performance feedback is regularly provided;
- Ensure that IJM and its agents comply with all IJM, government and donor requirements;
- Ensure that concise but thorough written reports of all investigation team activities are timely provided;
- Maintain detailed records of the office’s investigative work;
- Evaluate all investigative outcomes;
- Ensure the security of all investigative, legal and aftercare operations, reporting to the Field Director on security matters as they develop; and
- Ensure continual communication with supervisor regarding the status of operations and challenges faced.
- Fully understand the relevant laws and procedures regarding investigations, arrests and charging of perpetrators;
- Advocate to government authorities for rescue of victims and perpetrator accountability and advise such authorities during enforcement actions;
- Pursue proper arrest and charging of perpetrators;
- Develop and continually modify a best-practices investigations training manual and materials; and
- Advise the aftercare team as to proper protection of victims and witnesses.
- Develop and maintain strong relationships with relevant government leaders, local churches, NGOs and other relevant organizations; and
- Host visits by IJM guests, teams, interns and volunteers.
- Carry out other additional assignments given by the Field Director; and
- Maintain confidentiality of privileged and sensitive information.
- This position requires full-time residence in Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic; and
- This position requires periodic travel to other provinces in the Dominican Republic and sporadic travel within the region and to the United States.
Required Skills and Experience
- Fluency in spoken and written Spanish Language;
- Minimum of five years’ experience in criminal investigation with a public law enforcement agency, international human rights agency, public international agency, private investigative or security firm, or military or national security agency;
- Proven ability to work undercover or supervise undercover operations;
- Experience establishing, developing and training operative networks;
- Minimum of three years successful management/team building experience;
- Demonstrated interest in human rights and social justice; and
- Prior Peace Corps, relief, legal, enforcement or other overseas work experience preferred.
Preferred Skills and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree; and
- Experience in cases of commercial sexual exploitation of children and trafficking in persons.
- Mature orthodox Christian faith as defined by the Apostles’ Creed;
- Attention to detail and disciplined with priorities;
- Strong service ethic and a passion for IJM’s goals;
- Patient; works well under stress;
- Personable; sustained positive attitude;
- Diplomatic and flexible;
- Professional in demeanor and written and oral communication;
- Able to achieve goals in a cross-cultural and cross-religious setting; and
- Effective team player and leader.
To protect the poor from violence by rescuing victims, bringing the criminals to justice, restoring survivors to safety and strength, and helping local law enforcement build a safe future that lasts.
Receive Instant Job Alerts
Vice President of Strategic Partnerships
"Working for IJM has ruined me for all other jobs. Looking back, I see how my entire career was orchestrated to bring me here. My graduate expertise focused on grassroots advertising and marketing, while my former positions with financial services firm KPMG and the University of Texas led me across the country developing strategic alliances and fundraising for student and research initiatives. My background in communication has proven critical for advocating IJM's mission to those who make our work possible. I am living my dream, utilizing my skills for my favorite mission. "
Support IJM Now
Your gift enables IJM to bring rescue and restoration to victims of slavery, sexual exploitation and other forms of violent oppression.