International Justice Mission (IJM) Uganda is working to eliminate property grabbing in Uganda by bringing rescue and restoration to individual victims, accountability to their perpetrators, and transformation to the public justice system as a whole. As the Lead Driver on IJM’s Administration Team, you will have the opportunity to lead the Driver/Special Assistants in providing transportation and other assistance to IJM’s staff, clients, and guests and, thereby, enable IJM Kampala to seek justice for widows and orphans victimized by property grabbing.
This position is based in Kampala, Uganda and reports to the IJM Office Administrator.
Transportation and Maintenance of Vehicle Fleet
- Manage the IJM vehicle fleet in Kampala with responsible accountability;
- Implement and direct IJM’s standard Vehicle Policies & Procedures, with particular attention to compliance, safety, and security issues;
- Ensure all vehicles carry requisite on-board documentation and insurance, and that all documentation is current;
- Order inventory for vehicle-related parts and consumables, including fuel;
- Manage fuel account balances, ensure timely and sufficient deposit of funds into the fuel account, and maintain custody of all fuel LPOs;
- Ensure accurate and timely routine maintenance and repair of all IJM vehicles;
- Inspect and record vehicle conditions and use, including maintaining a weekly checklist and proper completion of vehicle log books; and
- Oversee cleaning, maintenance, repair, fueling, and upkeep of all IJM vehicles.
Team Leadership and Management
- Lead and manage transport activities in the Kampala office, including scheduling and coordinating weekly vehicle requests for all departments and IJM personnel;
- Delegate vehicles, assignments, workload and tasks among the Drivers/Special Assistants;
- Supervise Driver/Special Assistant staff, set clear performance objectives and ensure they are understood;
- Conduct interim performance reviews every six (6) months and hold one-on-one feedback discussions with supervised staff on regular basis to ensure that performance objectives are being met;
- Conduct annual Performance Evaluations for staff that you directly supervise, and manage poor performance and/or disciplinary issues in accordance with IJM’s HR Policies & Procedures;
- Ensure that Driver/Special Assistant staff leave is planned in advance for sustainable coverage and backup so that weekly vehicle requests from all IJM departments in Kampala and driver needs for IJM staff are met;
- Improve service of Driver/Special Assistants through training, mentoring, and oversight;
- Ensure compliance with IJM’s transport policies, procedures, and protocols;
- Represent the interests of the transport team to other departments and IJM staff; and
- Note: although the Lead Driver does not necessarily include transportation of IJM staff to the field, please provide transportation, navigation, and translation support for IJM staff on an as needed basis.
Hospitality & Office Facility Assistance
- Welcome international guests and staff at airport and hotels;
- Assist in hosting guests, visitors, and volunteers; and
- Maintain and activate the generator at the IJM office to ensure adequate backup power supply.
- Participate in IJM programs in professionalism and Christian spiritual formation.
- This position requires frequent travel to and from areas within Uganda during work hours.
Required Skills and Experience
- University degree in relevant field (logistics, business management etc.);
- Three or more years of professional experience as a Lead Driver/fleet manager;
- Three or more years of experience leading teams including vision casting, process management, staff management;
- Valid Driver’s License, certificate from defensive driving course, and experience driving manual vehicles on rough terrain;
- Understanding of maintenance requirements for four-wheel-drive vehicles. This includes familiarity with pricing for vehicle maintenance and repairs;
- Excellent critical thinking, analysis, and oral and written communication skills;
- Fluency in English and Luganda, with excellent writing and speaking in both; and
- Computer literate with proficiency in MS Word, Outlook, Access and working with spreadsheets.
- Mature orthodox Christian faith as defined by the Apostles’ Creed;
- Passionate commitment to IJM’s mission and values;
- Professional in demeanor, appearance, writing and oral communication;
- Works well under stress with a sustained positive attitude;
- Exceptionally high level of honesty and integrity;
- Intelligent, organized, creative and proactive problem solver; and
- Ability to cooperate effectively in a multi-cultural environment.
To protect the poor from violence by rescuing victims, bringing the criminals to justice,
restoring survivors to safety and strength, and helping local law enforcement build a safe future that lasts.
Send Job Application Form, Resume, Cover Letter & Statement of Faith*
By E-mail (preferred method):
International Justice Mission
Attn: Human Resources
P.O. Box 502
Ntinda, Kampala, UGANDA
International Justice Mission
Attn: Human Resources
Plot 15 Suuna Road, Ntinda
*What is a statement of faith?
A statement of faith should describe your Christian faith and how you see it as relevant to your involvement with IJM. The statement can either be incorporated into the cover letter or submitted as a separate document and should include, at a minimum, a description of your spiritual disciplines (prayer, study, etc.) and your current fellowship or place of worship.