International Justice Mission is a global organization that protects the poor from violence throughout the developing world. IJM partners with local authorities to rescue victims of violence, bring criminals to justice, restore survivors, and strengthen justice systems. International Justice Mission Canada shares this mission. The largest organization of its kind, IJM combats slavery, sex trafficking, sexual violence, police brutality, property grabbing and other forms of violence in nearly 20 communities throughout Africa, Latin America, South Asia and Southeast Asia.
The Vice-President of Operations of IJM Canada reports to the Executive Director, and (with the Vice-President of Development and Marketing and the Executive Director) serves as a member of the senior leadership team of the organization. Within this team, the Vice-President of Operations plays the lead role in maximizing organization-wide effectiveness, productivity and management excellence. The Vice-President of Operations leads the Business Operations division of the organization, consisting of finance, information systems and human resources. This person also has direct responsibility for IJM Canada’s international programs, which are managed by IJM’s global headquarters by way of a contract for service agreement.
- Serve as a senior leader of IJM Canada, grounded in prayer and boldly modelling for staff, volunteers and constituents IJM’s core values: Christian, Professional and Bridge Builder;
- Serve, support and advise the Executive Director, helping him to be a good steward of the resources entrusted to IJM Canada and to make prudent decisions that are honouring to God and maximize the advancement of IJM’s mission;
- Serve and support the Chair of the Board of Directors of IJM Canada by advising him and the Executive Director on the preparation of meeting agendas, managing the process of preparation, collection, and review of Board materials, and by regular reporting to the Finance and Audit Committee of the Board;
- Work with IJM Canada’s leaders and employees to establish and maintain a positive work environment, which encourages the full use of diverse talents and abilities;
- Represent the organization in meetings with other agencies, churches, supporters and such other entities as the Executive Director directs; and
- Provide comprehensive oversight of all day-to-day operations of IJM Canada.
- In alignment with IJM’s strategic plan, facilitate the ongoing review and implementation of IJM Canada’s strategic plan, along with corresponding functional operation plans; and
- Provide structure and direction for the organization, and enable successful collaboration across divisions.
- Lead the organizational development and evolution of an appropriate infrastructure and set of business processes to achieve IJM Canada’s strategic objectives through optimal planning, collaboration and execution across the organization;
- Through leadership of the Director of Finance, and in coordination with all functional departments and divisions, develop and recommend to the Executive Director an annual operating budget;
- Collaborate with the Director of Finance to ensure sound financial stability and integrity through the monitoring of cash flows, revenue forecasts, cash reserves, and expenses;
- Ensure compliance with the laws and regulations of all governmental entities and membership organizations to which IJM Canada is accountable, in addition to adherence to commonly accepted business practices and professional ethics;
- Provide organization-wide leadership to effective job design, feedback, and annual performance evaluation that is tied to the over-arching goals of the organization;
- Implement a comprehensive leadership development program that optimally stewards and mobilizes talent throughout the organization;
- Ensure IJM Canada’s data security, information sharing and collaboration needs are met, utilizing appropriate technology, software, and system design;
- Maintain, implement and revise as required the organization’s business continuity and disaster recovery strategies and solutions; and
- Provide comprehensive leadership of all IJM Canada business operations through direct supervision of all support staff in the Business Operations division.
- Serve as the key point of liaison on strategic and operational reporting to IJM’s global headquarters;
- Monitor IJM Canada compliance with all legal agreements and MOUs with IJM and any other partners;
- Receive and review quarterly project performance reports from IJM’s global headquarters and report as required to the Board of Directors and external stakeholders;
- Monitor the effective implementation and participate in the ongoing review of the global IJM framework manualand any global IJM policies that pertain to the operation of IJM Canada; and
- As required, visit IJM Canada field office projects and report on project performance to the Executive Director and the Board of Directors.
Required Skills and Experience
- Graduate degree in business management, organizational development, leadership, or other relevant course of studies; or, equivalent combination of bachelor’s degree and relevant work experience;
- Minimum of ten (10) years of experience in operations management, with at least two (2) years at the executive level;
- Advanced competencies in financial analysis and management;
- International leadership experience strongly preferred; and
- Superb written and verbal communication skills.
- Mature biblically-based Christian faith as defined by the Apostles’ Creed;
- Demonstrated passion for serving the poor and oppressed;
- Extraordinary ability to initiate and build relationships with people;
- Personable and comfortable speaking before groups of primarily internal, but also external groups;
- Creative and energetic problem solver;
- Professionalism, discretion and mature judgment;
- Ability to relate cross culturally with a wide range of international constituencies;
- Works well under stress and deadline pressures; and
- Effective planner and implementer of procedures and systems.
- IJM Canada offers a competitive salary, with medical, dental, retirement and relocation benefits;
- Position reports to the Executive Director;
- Position based at IJM Canada headquarters in London, Ontario, with occasional travel to IJM’s global headquarters in Washington, D.C., and to IJM field offices; and
- Applications accepted until the position is filled.
To apply, please send Resume, Cover Letter & Statement of Faith *
International Justice Mission Canada
Attn: Human Resources
PO Box 336, STN B
*What is a statement of faith?
A statement of faith should describe your Christian faith and how it is relevant to your involvement with IJM Canada. The statement can either be incorporated into your cover letter or submitted as a separate document. It should include, at a minimum, a description of your spiritual disciplines (prayer, study, etc.) and your current faith community.