The Assessment of Survivor Outcomes (ASO) tool, developed by International Justice Mission, is a valid and reliable tool for measuring progress toward restoration and outcomes for survivors who are recovering from various forms of violence and exploitation.
The ASO tool has two main purposes: (1) as a case management tool to identify areas of survivor strengths and vulnerabilities, enabling a tailored plan of service provision; and (2) as an impact measurement tool to provide data on the effectiveness of service provision by assessing survivor progress.
Learn More About the ASO Tool
IJM defines restoration to be when a survivor is able to function in society with low vulnerability to revictimization. The ASO measures six domains of functioning critical to a survivor’s restoration, each of which contributes to a survivor’s ability to function in society with low vulnerability to revictimization.
- Safety: Survivors are free from the threat or experience of victimization, and are motivated and able to remain safe.
- Legal Protection: Survivors are knowledgeable about their rights and protections, and are able to pursue justice and protection if these rights are violated.
- Mental Wellbeing: Survivors demonstrate stability, positive coping skills and reduced harmful behaviors that affect their long-term recovery.
- Economic Empowerment and Education: Survivors’ households can maintain adequate income from a safe source to meet their needs, and are engaged in school, training and/or work.
- Social Support: Survivors have supportive relationships and are accepted in their communities.
- Physical Wellbeing: Survivors take care of their health needs, and can access basic medical services and safe, stable housing.
Use the ASO tool within your organization
IJM is pleased to share the ASO without a fee, as we believe that the ASO is a critical assessment for measuring survivor outcomes. However, for the ASO to be effective, it is essential that it is used correctly. IJM requires that a user agreement be signed and adhered to in order to use the tool.
If you believe the ASO would be a beneficial tool for your organization, please preview the ASO resources below and return a signed copy of the ASO User Agreement to firstname.lastname@example.org. After receiving the signed user agreement, we will send you the official version of the ASO tool, guidance manual, and training materials.