International Justice Mission (IJM) is a global organization that protects the vulnerable from violence by partnering with government authorities to rescue victims, bring criminals to justice, restore survivors, and strengthen criminal justice systems so they protect the vulnerable from violence and abuse long-term. IJM is a global team of lawyers, social workers and other professionals. IJM has 17 field offices across the globe, including multiple offices in Southeast Asia.
IJM has worked in northern Thailand through IJM’s Chiang Mai field office (FO) since 2000, partnering with government authorities on hill tribe Thai citizenship cases and cases of sexual violence against children. In 2017, IJM established a new field office (FO) in Bangkok that will provide support to Thai authorities in eliminating labor trafficking and forced labor from the Thai fishing and seafood industries. IJM lawyers, fieldworkers, social workers and other professionals will support Thai law enforcement, social services, prosecutors and the courts to identify and prosecute cases of forced labor and labor trafficking crimes, and restore labor trafficking survivors to safety and strength.
IJM is seeking a highly-motivated professional who will use their experience in qualitative and quantitative research and analysis to help rescue victims of injustice. The successful candidate ill be a Thai national who has high proficiency in English; experience in qualitative and quantitative data collection and analysis; critical thinking and analytical ability; experience using computer programs to analyze and/or visualize data; and be passionate about using their skills to seek justice for victims of injustice, human trafficking and forced labor. This position is based in Bangkok, Thailand and may require occasional travel within Thailand and to Cambodia. The position will report to the IJM Bangkok Director of Law Enforcement Coordination.
The Crime Researcher and Analyst will be responsible for using IJM’s casework data and analysis tools to identify trends and patterns in the data that will help IJM’s fieldwork, legal and aftercare teams to secure justice for victims of human trafficking. The Crime Researcher and Analyst will analyze data to understand patterns of criminal activity, assist IJM and IJM’s Thai law enforcement partners to profile and target criminals and their criminal networks, and map and visualize geographical crime ‘hot spots.’ The Crime Researcher and Analyst will identify additional data sources, collect and analyze data, monitor and audit the quality of field-based data collection, and produce written reports and visual-analysis of the data to support work by IJM and IJM’s Thai law enforcement partners to assist victims of human trafficking.
Data Collection & Management
- Master IJM software programs for managing data, including: Tableau data analysis and data visualization software, IJM’s criminal information and analysis software, IJM’s Casework Tracking and Management System (CTMS), and other related M&E and data collection tools.
- Work with FO leaders and IJM’s headquarters-based (HQ) Analyst to develop targeted data collection requirements; to identify relevant local data sources; and to implement appropriate processes, policies and protocols for collection, analysis and dissemination of information.
- Collaborate with FO leaders and staff to gather targeted data and ensure the timely, consistent implementation of data collection policies and procedures; Support future development of IJM’s justice data software systems and data analysis tools.
Data Analysis & Insights
- Conduct analysis of data to identify key criminal elements, networks, relationships, patterns and behavior, including detecting previously unknown victims and perpetrators, identifying criminal targets, identifying criminal tactics and techniques, identifying ‘hot spots’ for human trafficking, and identifying trends in human trafficking for labor exploitation.
- Produce and distribute timely, responsive and quality reports that support the analysis needs of IJM’s Bangkok and Cambodia Field Offices, local law enforcement partners and non-government partners, including data visual presentations such as dashboards, spreadsheets, maps, charts and graphs.
- Conduct in-depth analysis of casework data from CTMS to assess performance and identify areas of needed focus and attention. Develop a thorough understanding of the laws and elements of proof for the crimes IJM government partners investigate and prosecute to assist in narrowing IJM’s information- gathering focus.
Data Quality Assurance
- Oversee, assess and continually improve the data entry practices of the FO’s fieldwork, legal and aftercare teams.
- Work with FO leaders and the HQ Analyst to ensure the quality of data being collected and entered is consistent, accurate and clean.
Training & Consultation
- Serve as the CTMS Point of Contact for the Bangkok Field Office, including providing basic training for newly hired fieldwork, legal and aftercare staff.
- Oversee the effective use of CTMS by IJM’s fieldwork, legal and aftercare teams, respond to questions about how to use CTMS, and train to fill capacity gaps.
- Consider and advise on the better use of CTMS by each casework team and on the appropriate business processes to be implemented by each team.
- Coach and develop field office staff to ensure mastery of all M&E data collection and analysis tools, providing user support and monitoring on data quality.
- In coordination with the Bangkok Program Manager, lead rollout and training for newly developed data collection and M&E tools.
- Perform other related duties and tasks as assigned by the IJM Bangkok Director of Law Enforcement Coordination.
Required Skills and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree required; Master’s degree preferred;
- At least 1-2 years’ relevant experience in qualitative and quantitative research and analysis;
- Fluency or near-fluency in spoken and written English required;
- Prior experience working with databases, qualitative and/or quantitative data analysis programs, and/or data visualization software (such as Tableau) or demonstrated ability to learn preferred;
- High level of proficiency in computer skills;
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office applications, with significant experience with Excel preferred;
- Thai national.
- Creative and analytical thinker and problem solver.
- Meticulous attention to detail.
- Objectivity, integrity, and intellectual honesty.
- Patient, flexible, and persistent.
- Committed to continuous learning.
- Strong interpersonal skills, cross-cultural communication, and experience or desire to work comfortably within a multi-ethnic, multi-national team.
- Winsome, effective team player with the ability to build strong working relationships with key partners at all levels of the organization.
- Disciplined with priorities, manages time and resources effectively.
- Professional, diplomatic, and mature in judgment and demeanor.
- Demonstrated interest in human rights and social justice.
- Able to maintain confidentiality of sensitive information.
- Deadline: Application will be accepted until the position is filled.
- Only completed applications will be reviewed. A complete application includes: IJM Job Application Form, and CV.