International Justice Mission (IJM) is an international organization working to protect some of the most vulnerable and oppressed people from violent forces of injustice by securing rescue and restoration for victims and ensuring public justice systems work for the poor.
IJM is seeking a dynamic and proactive individual with law enforcement expertise to lead IJM in conducting and monitoring the investigation of human trafficking for the purpose of commercial sexual exploitation of minors in the Dominican Republic. The Director of Investigations and Law Enforcement Development (DILED) will also advance efforts to build the capacity of Dominican law enforcement personnel to effectively investigate sex trafficking cases, rescuing victims applying victim-sensitive methods, and arresting suspects for their prosecution.
This position is based in Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic and reports to the Field Office Director, Dominican Republic.
- Based on stated objectives, help to develop and then implement location-specific investigative strategies and tactics;
- Enforce IJM HQ investigative protocols and propose additional locally specific protocols;
- Recruit, train and supervise an investigative team of approximately two investigators, as well as investigation interns and volunteers; and
- Develop the leadership and management potential of key agents.
- In consultation with the legal team, manage daily investigative operations, ensuring that projected activities, outputs and objectives are achieved;
- Develop and manage a network of informants who can provide specific, credible information regarding cases of violent oppression;
- Develop and manage a network of operatives who can be mobilized to gather relevant information and evidence as directed;
- Develop and cultivate working relationships with key enforcement authorities;
- Develop and manage a full-time, in-house investigations unit that: gathers information from informants; directs operatives; gathers and analyzes evidence; presents such evidence to the police in a coherent and convincing manner; advocates for the police to take proper action; monitor such police action; and serves when appropriate as a witness to the crimes committed and perpetrator arrest;
- Ensure that: IJM investigation team members have clearly defined job descriptions and performance objectives; agent performance is monitored; and appropriate job performance feedback is regularly provided;
- Ensure that IJM and its agents comply with all IJM, government and donor requirements;
- Ensure that concise but thorough written reports of all investigation team activities are timely provided;
- Maintain detailed records of the office’s investigative work;
- Evaluate all investigative outcomes;
- Ensure the security of all investigative, legal and aftercare operations, reporting to the Field Office Director on security matters as they develop; and
- Ensure continual communication with supervisor regarding the status of operations and challenges faced.
- Fully understand the relevant local laws and procedures regarding investigations, arrests and charging of perpetrators;
- Advocate to government authorities for rescue of victims and perpetrator accountability and advise such authorities during enforcement actions;
- Pursue proper arrest and charging of perpetrators;
- Develop and continually modify a best-practices investigations training manual and materials;
- Lead efforts to train local law enforcement on best practices regarding the investigation of human trafficking; and
- Manage projects that increase the capacity of local law enforcement to investigate human trafficking.
- Develop and maintain strong relationships with relevant government leaders, local churches, NGOs and other relevant organizations; and
- Host visits by IJM guests, teams, interns and volunteers.
- Carry out other additional assignments given by the Field Director; and
- Maintain confidentiality of privileged and sensitive information.
Required Skills and Experience
- Fluency in spoken and written Spanish Language;
- Minimum of eight years’ experience in criminal investigation with a public law enforcement agency, international human rights agency, public international agency, private investigative or security firm, or military or national security agency;
- Proven ability to work undercover or supervise undercover operations;
- Experience establishing, developing and training operative networks;
- Minimum of three years successful management/team building experience;
- Demonstrated interest in human rights and social justice; and
- Prior Peace Corps, relief, legal, enforcement or other overseas work experience preferred.
Preferred Skills and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree; and
- Experience in cases of commercial sexual exploitation of children and trafficking in persons.
- Mature orthodox Christian faith as defined by the Apostles’ Creed;
- Attention to detail and disciplined with priorities;
- Strong service ethic and a passion for IJM’s goals;
- Patient; works well under stress;
- Personable; sustained positive attitude;
- Diplomatic and flexible;
- Professional in demeanor and written and oral communication;
- Able to achieve goals in a cross-cultural and cross-religious setting; and
- Effective team player and leader.
- This position requires full-time residence in Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic; and
- This position requires regular travel to other provinces in the Dominican Republic and sporadic travel within the region and to the United States.
To protect the poor from violence by rescuing victims, bringing the criminals to justice, restoring survivors to safety and strength, and helping local law enforcement build a safe future that lasts.
Send Resume, Cover Letter & Statement of Faith*
*What is a statement of faith?
A statement of faith should describe your Christian faith and how it is relevant to your involvement with IJM. The statement can either be incorporated into your cover letter or submitted as a separate document. It should include, at a minimum, a description of your spiritual disciplines (prayer, study, etc.) and your current fellowship or place of worship.