Who We Are
IJM is seeking an Analyst, MEL who is responsible for the design and implementation of IJM Malaysia’s monitoring, evaluation and learning frameworks and procedures, and for ensuring the capture, recording, analysis and use of program and external data for improved program learning and evaluation. The Analyst, MEL will support the Malaysia program by compiling, reviewing and analyzing information about program activities and results. He or she will also develop data sharing collaborations, and work with partners to improve their data capture and analysis. This will allow for timely decision-making, ensure accountability, and provide the basis for evaluation and learning. The position is based in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia and may require travel within Malaysia and regionally. This position reports to the Field Office Director, Malaysia.
Key Result Areas
The success of this role is measured by key result areas which are listed below:
- Delivers and maintains a comprehensive M&E Framework that provides IJM Malaysia and IJM forced labour program hub leaders the ability to accurately analyze program effectiveness and communicate lessons learned and impacts to external stakeholders;
- Conducts external data gathering, including stakeholder feedback, to support program decision-making and enable the program to achieve its goals;
- Rapidly increases the volume, quality and accuracy of IJM Malaysia’s forced labour and labour trafficking data; and
- Creates, circulates and trains on simple and effective data capture tools for program and partner staff.
Roles and Responsibilities
Documentation, Reporting & Data Management
- Contribute to the development and periodic update of the program’s M&E plan, learning and use plan, and theory of change pathway;
- Compile data on program indicators, ensuring that all program indicators have data regularly collected and appropriately stored from verifiable sources according to the program’s M&E plan;
- Conduct regular analysis of program data, supplying data and analysis as needed for program related reports, reviews and decisions;
- Conduct external data gathering, including stakeholder feedback, to support program decision-making;
- Deliver training as needed for IJM staff on M&E framework, language, principles and tools, research methods and skills, and data entry;
- Together with IJM Malaysia, IJM forced labour program hub colleagues and NGO partners, design data collection processes and tools;
- Guide & train program team and NGO partners in using and maintaining data processes and tools;
- Work closely with all program staff to ensure project activities are well documented, including thorough and well-organized filing systems with supporting documents;
- Implement regular data quality audits of program monitoring data and work with colleagues and NGO partners to correct data errors;
- Identify additional M&E needs and ways to measure the current programs, to increase the volume, quality and accuracy of data;
- Support M&E and learning projects within the office and in collaboration with IJM regional and global teams; and
- Ensure full implementation of IJM Malaysia grant obligations regarding monitoring and evaluation of program.
Program Implementation Planning and Review
- Assist the Field Office Director, Finance Officer and Sr Lead, Program Management in developing draft budgets, reviewing budget to actual and projected spending during the year, and working with Regional Program Managers on monitoring restricted spending portions of the FO budget; and
- Assist the Field Office Director and Sr Lead, Program Management in preparing for and following up on quarterly program reviews and other program review meetings.
General Accounting & Statutory Compliance
Support development of annual budget for M&E activities, and manage spending of funds in accordance with IJM Malaysia’s budget and stewardship principles.
- Maintain detailed familiarity with IJM’s program and its implementation by participating in team meetings and a variety of internal and external program activities;
- Act as a liaison with the IJM regional team and other offices on program and M&E issues, sharing knowledge and lessons learned;
- Participate in regular IJM program support team meetings, and IJM regional/hub M&E team meetings;
- Maintain confidentiality of privileged and sensitive information;
- Perform other related duties and tasks as assigned by the Field Office Director;
- Ensure compliance with all relevant laws, IJM policies and best practices; and
- Update and use IJM’s casework tracking systems and other data collection, monitoring and evaluation tools.
This position reports to the Field Office Director. No roles report to this position.
Education & Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Management, Statistics or a related field;
- Master’s degree preferred; and
- Minimum of 4-5 years of experience in program monitoring, data management and/or evaluation – including any:
- designing, managing, or monitoring a program;
- Conducting data quality audits or quality assurance assessments; and
- Capturing, synthesizing, and analyzing qualitative and quantitative data
- Excellent interpersonal skills that enhance productivity and facilitates positive workplace relationships;
- Strong research, writing and verbal communication skills in English and Bahasa Malaysia;
- Professional presentation in demeanor and written and spoken communication;
- Meticulous attention to detail, sound judgment, ability to take initiative and provide constructive feedback;
- Excellent analytical, critical thinking, and problem-solving skills; and
- Advanced proficiency in Excel and comfortable with learning new computer software programs.
- Resilient and works well under stress with a sustained positive attitude;
- Proven ability to lead cross-culturally to achieve significant outcomes and impact;
- Strong leadership, management and coaching ability with high level of emotional intelligence;
- Ability to mitigate conflict or disagreement in a professional manner;
- Exceptionally high level of honesty and integrity;
- Diplomatic and flexible; and
- Passionate commitment to and understanding of IJM mission.
Applications should include:
- A cover letter, explaining why you are interested and qualified for the position;
- A curriculum vitae; and
- A completed IJM application form (Click here to access the application form).