Who We Are
International Justice Mission (IJM) is the global leader in protecting vulnerable people from violence around the world. Our global team of over 1,200 professionals are at work in 33 offices. Together, we are catalyzing a global revolution that will rescue millions, protect half a billion, and make justice unstoppable.
Motivated by God’s call to seek justice for the oppressed, we believe that the way we work is as important as the results we achieve. We are a global community that cares for one another. We value joy and celebration, and we strive to provide professional excellence to all those we serve.
After almost 25 years of continued growth and operational success in pioneering the work of protecting those who are experiencing poverty from violence, IJM has become a $100+ million organization. As IJM continues this trajectory of growth and scaling of its impact, with the Vision to protect 500 million people by the year 2030, IJM is seeking an Associate Director on Government Affairs for our Country Office in Colombia.
The Associate Director on Government Affairs will interact with government, legislative, non-governmental sectors, the academy, development agencies and stakeholders at the local and national in order to advance IJM Colombia’s ability to fulfill its mission.
Under the Country Director’s supervision and in close cooperation with other team members, this Associate Director maintains and nurtures the relationship with different sectors and brings their experience in government relations to achieve legislative, policy, and program goals.
This position is based at IJM Colombia Office and reports to the Country Director.
- Develop and maintain strategic contacts and liaisons with national and local government entities, non-governmental organizations (NGOs), the academy, and development agencies to achieve the IJM Colombia goals;
- Identify national and local entities of diverse sectors to inform them of IJM Colombia activities and exchange information of mutual interest;
- Build and maintain strategic relationships with key decision-makers and policymakers to achieve IJM Colombia's objectives at the national and local levels;
- Develop policy statements, guidelines and strategies to impact governmental and legislative activity according to the mission of IJM;
- Identify opportunities to mobilize and empower communities and civil society to drive awareness about violence against women and children and other topics related to the IJM mission;
- Lead the development of legislative and public policy solutions that achieve a high level of impact over the performance and functioning of Colombian justice and security institutions;
- Participate in inter-agency working groups and initiatives to promote the IJM mission;
- Serve as liaison with national and local government counterparts and stakeholders; and
- Design strategies to activate stakeholders, partners and relevant actors and identify potential opportunities to achieve the IJM purposes. Follow-up of legislative, policy, and regulatory initiatives related to IJM’s interest.
- Master’s degree in Law, Economy, Business Administration, Political Science, Public Policy or related field;
- Bachelor's degree in Law, Economy, Business Administration, Political Science, Public Policy or related field required;
- At least 10 years of proven progressive experience working on government affairs, developing strategic political solutions to complex and critical problems with the Colombian government and local institutions and linking non-governmental actors, the academy, development agencies and other strategic actors;
- At least 5 years of progressive experience in legislative, governmental or community affairs and in implementing projects to strengthen the capacities of the national and local institutions;
- Experience in strengthening Justice and Citizen Security Systems will be highly valued; and
- Experience working effectively cross-culturally.
- Passion for IJM’s mission;
- Analytical and critical thinking skills;
- Teamwork and team management;
- Good project development and implementation skills;
- Demonstrated gender awareness and sensitivity, and an ability to integrate a gender perspective into tasks and activities;
- Fully fluent in Spanish and proficient in English, both written and spoken;
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills;
- Strong interpersonal skills and emotional intelligence;
- Strategic thinking;
- Mature, professional leader;
- Ability to work in a team and to establish and maintain effective work relationships with people of different national and cultural backgrounds; and
- Unfailing integrity and honesty.
What does IJM have to offer?
- The position will be hired as a full-time labor contract, including all Colombian labor benefits.
- The candidate must be a resident and have the legal capacity to work in Colombia.
- Only those candidates who meet the requirements for the position will be contacted.
Send your resume and cover letter in a single document to the following email address: firstname.lastname@example.org