Who We Are
International Justice Mission (IJM) is the global leader in protecting vulnerable people from violence around the world. Our global team of over 1,200 professionals are at work in 33 offices. Together, we are catalyzing a global revolution that will rescue millions, protect half a billion, and make justice unstoppable.
Motivated by God’s call to seek justice for the oppressed, we believe that the way we work is as important as the results we achieve. We are a global community that cares for one another. We value joy and celebration, and we strive to provide professional excellence to all those we serve.
After almost 25 years of continued growth and operational success in pioneering the work of protecting those who are experiencing poverty from violence, IJM has become a $100+ million organization. As IJM continues this trajectory of growth and scaling of its impact, with the Vision to protect 500 million people by the year 2030, IJM’s is seeking an Associate Director, Justice Solutions for our Country Office in Guatemala.
The Associate Director, Justice Solutions (AD – JS) serves as the main subject-matter expert on Criminal Justice and Rule of Law. This position is responsible for interacting with Government and Non-Government actors, including high and mid-ranking Public Justice System Officials, being a recognized thought leader and relationship builder with deep experience in policy advocacy and communications. The AD-JS will collaborate closely with peers on a senior leadership team to develop unified Hub strategies and to keep updated a “backlog” of team projects operationalizing those strategies. The AD-JS will lead a team of teams, being responsible for overseeing personnel assigned to his/her component.
The position is based in Guatemala and reports to the Country Director, Guatemala.
- Provide targeted project areas with improved capacity to investigate and prosecute violent crimes;
- Develop and deliver capacity building activities to enhance the ability of prosecutors, judges and other PJS officials to process criminal cases;
- Form, lead, support, strengthen, and/or influence partnerships and coalitions and local, national and sub-regional levels to identify and pursue opportunities to increase equal access to justice for all;
- Provide technical support and leadership to a team of criminal justice specialists, and oversee and manage contractors assigned to her/his component;
- Develop and implement a work plan for her/his component;
- Serve as liaison with Government counterparts and stakeholders;
- Advice the Country Director on potential opportunities to activate stakeholders, partners and relevant actors;
- Oversee the implementation of Monitoring, Evaluation, Research and Learning (MERL) processes in her/his component;
- Assist in preparing performance monitoring plan ; and
- Prepare comprehensive reports of her/his component activities and progress.
- Graduate degree in law or related field. Candidates with degrees in other fields will be considered IF they have 5+ years of experience in the field of rule of law, citizen security, justice sector reform or criminal justice;
- Executive leadership experience strongly preferred;
- Three years’ experience leading, mentoring and developing teams with a demonstrated track record of successfully empowering supervised employees to exercise decision-making rights;
- Five years’ experience successfully leading complex, multi-stakeholder, multi-sector initiatives to success in challenging environments with excellent outcomes;
- Demonstrated experience leading teams to take reasonable risks and innovate effective solutions to intractable problems;
- Experience forging partnerships and strategic, collaborative relationships with diverse stakeholders to accomplish significant objects; and
- Meaningful experience with Human-Centered Design, Design Thinking and/or Agile frameworks, preferred.
- Proficient in English
- Mentoring and coaching;
- Management of multi-disciplinary, multi-cultural teams;
- Management of complex programs (directly and through partners);
- Ability to avoid creating siloed teams. Ability to work and lead across silos when they exist;
- Passionate, self-motivated learner both inside and outside of academic contexts;
- Embraces change. Drives innovation. Bold. Growth mindset;
- Strong collaborative partner to peers. Thinks “organization-wide”;
- Proven strategic thinker. Critical thinker. Sound judgment;
- Problem-solver. Proven ability to diagnose, isolate and resolve complex problems;
- Action oriented. Makes hard decisions;
- Professional and diplomatic. High emotional intelligence; and,
- Willing to travel often both domestically and internationally.
This role does not provide an international expatriate benefits package therefore it is open for nationals or residents who have the legal capacity to live and work in Guatemala City, Guatemala.
Send your Cover Letter and Resume in a single document by email: email@example.com
Only those candidates who meet the requirements for the position will be contacted.