Who We Are
International Justice Mission (IJM) is the global leader in protecting vulnerable people from violence around the world. Our global team of over 1,200 professionals are at work in 33 offices. Together, we are catalyzing a global revolution that will rescue millions, protect half a billion, and make justice unstoppable.
Motivated by God’s call to seek justice for the oppressed, we believe that the way we work is as important as the results we achieve. We are a global community that cares for one another. We value joy and celebration, and we strive to provide professional excellence to all those we serve.
After almost 25 years of continued growth and operational success in pioneering the work of protecting those who are experiencing poverty from violence, IJM has become a $100+ million organization. As IJM continues this trajectory of growth and scaling of its impact, with the Vision to protect 500 million people by the year 2030, IJM is seeking an Associate Director on Justice System Strengthening for our Country Office in Colombia.
The Associate Director on Justice System Strengthening serves as the foremost subject-matter expert on Criminal Justice and the Rule of Law. Consequently, this expert will substantially contribute to the strategic and programmatic development and implementation of the IJM Colombia project.
Under the Country Director’s supervision and in close cooperation with other team members, this Associate Director is responsible for interacting with Government and Non-Government actors, including high and mid-ranking Justice System Officials, in order to achieve that the Colombian justice institutions are more efficient and effective in the investigation, prosecution and punishment of crimes especially those related with violence against women and children
This position is based at IJM Colombia Office and reports to the Country Director.
- Provide strategic guidance on capacity-building measures to strengthen the Colombian Justice System to investigate, prosecute and punish criminals, especially those involved in violence against women and children.
- Identify opportunities to support the Colombian Justice System capacity-building by providing training, mentoring, and advice.
- Identify opportunities to mobilize and empower communities and civil society to drive the strengthening of the justice system through sustainable and measurable results.
- Provide technical guidance to support the development of legislative, policy, and systemic solutions that achieve a high level of impact over the performance and functioning of key Colombian justice institutions.
- Support the identification and development of partnerships with key actors at the national and local level on the Criminal Justice Process and the Rule of Law issues.
- Participate in inter-agency working groups and initiatives to promote the Rule of Law and increase equal access to justice for all.
- Serve as liaison with national and local government counterparts and stakeholders.
- Advice the Country Director on potential opportunities to activate stakeholders, partners and relevant actors.
- Support the implementation of the Colombian Project at the local level offering strategic guidance to create capacities to protect communities.
- Oversee the implementation of M&E processes in their component.
- Master’s degree in Criminal Law, Justice or related field.
- Bachelor's degree in Law or Bachelor’s degree or related field.
- At least 10 years of progressive experience working on access to justice, judicial reform and/or strengthening the rule of law.
- At least 5 years of progressive experience working in organizational development, implementation of projects and/or capacity building in the justice sector.
- Experience working effectively cross-culturally.
- Knowledge and experience in inter-institutional coordination processes in the justice sector.
- Analytical and critical thinking skills.
- Teamwork and team management.
- Ability to advise high-level officials.
- Good project development and implementation skills.
- Demonstrated gender awareness and sensitivity, and an ability to integrate a gender perspective into tasks and activities.
- Fully fluent in Spanish and proficient in English, both written and spoken.
- Passion for IJM’s mission.
- Results Orientation.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills and emotional intelligence.
- Strategic thinking.
- Resilient under stress.
- Mature, professional leader.
- Ability to work in a team and to establish and maintain effective working relationships with people of different national and cultural backgrounds
- Unfailing integrity and honesty
What does IJM have to offer?
- The position will be hired as a full-time labour contract which will include all Colombia Colombia labour benefits.
- The candidate must be a resident and have the legal capacity to work in Colombia.
- Only those candidates who meet the requirements for the position will be contacted.
Send your resume and cover letter in a single document to the following email address: firstname.lastname@example.org