Who We Are
International Justice Mission (IJM) is the global leader in protecting vulnerable people from violence around the world. Our global team of over 1,200 professionals are at work in 33 offices. Together, we catalyze a global revolution that will rescue millions, protect half a billion, and make justice unstoppable.
Motivated by God’s call to seek justice for the oppressed, we believe that the way we work is as important as the results we achieve. We are a global community that cares for one another. We value joy and celebration, and we strive to provide professional excellence to all those we serve.
After almost 25 years of continued growth and operational success in pioneering the work of protecting those experiencing poverty from violence, IJM has become a $100+ million organization. As IJM continues this trajectory of growth and scaling of its impact, with the Vision to protect 500 million people by the year 2030, IJM is seeking an Associate Director on Law Enforcement for our Country Office in Colombia.
This Associate Director will interact with the Colombian Law Enforcement entities, the legislative and judicial branches, non-governmental actors, academia and international cooperation in order to achieve the IJM policing goals for Colombia.
Under the Country Director's supervision and in close cooperation with other team members, this Associate Director maintains and nurtures the relationship with local and national actors and brings their experience to achieve legislative, policy, and program goals.
This position is based at IJM Colombia Office and reports to the Country Director.
- Establish and maintain strategic relationships with the Colombian Police to improve their capabilities and strategies to tackle violence against women and children;
- Identify collaboration opportunities between IJM and Colombian law enforcement entities;
- Develop and sustain strategic contacts with national and local government entities, non-governmental organizations (NGOs) and the academy to achieve the IJM Colombia goals relate to policing;
- Participate in developing policy statements, guidelines and strategies to impact governmental and legislative activity according to the mission of IJM;
- Identify opportunities to mobilize and empower communities and civil society to drive awareness about violence against women and children and other topics related to the IJM mission;
- Lead the development of strategies to achieve a high-level impact on the performance and functioning of Colombian law enforcement institutions;
- Lead the identification and development of partnerships with key actors at the national and local levels on law enforcement topics related to the IJM mission; and
- Support the implementation of the Colombian Project at the national and local levels offering strategic guidance to create capacities to protect communities.
- Master’s degree in Law, Economy, Political Science, Public Policy or related field;
- Bachelor's degree in Law, Economy, Political Science, Public Policy or related field required;
- At least 10 years of proven progressive experience working on government affairs, developing strategic political solutions to complex and critical problems with the Colombian government and local institutions and linking non-governmental actors, the academy, development agencies and other strategic actors. Experience in strengthening law enforcement institutions will be highly valued;
- At least 5 years of progressive experience in legislative, governmental or community affairs and in implementing projects to strengthen the capacities of law enforcement institutions at the national and local levels;
- Experience working effectively cross-culturally; and
- Knowledge and experience in inter-institutional coordination processes in the citizen security sector.
- Analytical and critical thinking skills;
- Teamwork and team management;
- Ability to advise high-level officials;
- Good project development and implementation skills;
- Demonstrated gender awareness, sensitivity, and ability to integrate a gender perspective into tasks and activities;
- Fully fluent in Spanish and proficient in English, both written and spoken;
- Passion for IJM’s mission;
- Results Oriented;
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills;
- Strong interpersonal skills and emotional intelligence;
- Strategic thinking;
- Mature, professional leader;
- Ability to work in a team and to establish and maintain effective work relationships with people of different national and cultural backgrounds; and
- Unfailing integrity and honesty.
What does IJM have to offer?
- The position will be hired as a full-time labor contract, including all Colombian labor benefits.
- The candidate must be a resident and have the legal capacity to work in Colombia.
- Only those candidates who meet the requirements for the position will be contacted.
Send your resume and cover letter in a single document to the following email address: email@example.com