Attorney - Tamale
Who We Are
International Justice Mission (IJM) is the global leader in protecting vulnerable people from violence around the world. Our global team of over 1,200 professionals are at work in 33 offices. Together, we are catalyzing a global revolution that will rescue millions, protect half a billion, and make justice unstoppable. Motivated by God’s call to seek justice for the oppressed, we believe that the way we work is as important as the results we achieve. We are a global community that cares for one another. We value joy and celebration, and we strive to provide professional excellence to all those we serve.
IJM Ghana partners with Ghanaian law enforcement officials to identify and rescue children who have been enslaved in Ghana’s fishing industry on Lake Volta. We create customized care plans for each survivor, and we work with government social service agencies and private aftercare providers to ensure children have a safe place to grow in freedom.
International Justice Mission, Ghana is seeking for a talented Lawyer who will assist in representing victims of child trafficking in investigations and seeking criminal accountability for perpetrators of labor trafficking crimes within the project area.
This position will be based in Tamale, Northern Region, Ghana and will report to the Director, Tamale Projects.
- Support Ghana Police and Prosecutors in the investigation and prosecution of child/forced labor trafficking perpetrators.
- Conduct research, brief writing and oral advocacy on behalf of IJM clients.
- Track case related data on paper and electronic case tracking management systems.
- Attend and/or participate in all legal proceedings relevant to assigned cases.
- Maintain accurate and updated documentation of legal proceedings in assigned cases.
- Perform legal research and draft pleadings as necessary in assigned cases.
- Ensure legal custody of rescued children for partner shelters and compliance with child protection laws and policies.
- Identify, develop and implement capacity building programs to strengthen the Public Justice System.
- Monitor legal policy information and developments which are or may be applicable to IJM.
- Advise management on internal legal documents, proceedings and organizational risk.
- Carry out additional assignments as directed by the Justice Sector Manager, Country Director, or his/her designee.
Skills and Experience
- Professional Certificate in Law and a member of the Ghana Bar Association in good standing.
- A degree in Law.
- Two (2) years of experience as a practicing attorney.
- Strong critical thinking, legal analysis and oral and written advocacy skills.
- Computer literate and proficient in Microsoft applications.
- Experience in criminal litigation preferred.
- Strong cross-cultural abilities to work in an international environment.
- Excellent knowledge of written and spoken English.
- Driver’s License preferred.
- Strong legal research and writing skills
- This position requires travel to various regions across Ghana.
- Willingness to work under potentially hazardous conditions.
- Meticulous attention to detail.
- Disciplined with priorities.
- Patient and able to work well under stress.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, personable, with a heart for service and sustained positive attitude.
- Punctual; manages time and resources effectively.
- Diplomatic, flexible, and mature in judgment.
- Effective team player and leader.
- Mature orthodox Christian faith as defined by the Apostles’ Creed.
- Evident passion to help people suffering injustice and oppression.
Send Cover Letter, Resume, & *Statement of Faith* by E-mail to:
*What is a statement of faith?
A statement of faith should describe your Christian faith and how you see it as relevant to your involvement with IJM. The statement can either be incorporated into the cover letter or submitted as a separate document and should include, at a minimum, a description of your spiritual disciplines (prayer, study, etc.) and your current fellowship or place of worship.