Who We Are
International Justice Mission (IJM) is the global leader in protecting vulnerable people from violence around the world. Our global team of over 1,200 professionals are at work in 33 offices. Together, we are catalyzing a global revolution that will rescue millions, protect half a billion, and make justice unstoppable.
Motivated by God’s call to seek justice for the oppressed, we believe that the way we work is as important as the results we achieve. We are a global community that cares for one another. We value joy and celebration, and we strive to provide professional excellence to all those we serve.
After almost 25 years of continued growth and operational success in pioneering the work of protecting those who are experiencing poverty from violence, IJM has become a $100+ million organization. As IJM continues this trajectory of growth and scaling of its impact, with the Vision to protect 500 million people by the year 2030, IJM is seeking is seeking a Coordinator, Safety & Security to provide technical and operational expertise in security management to the IJM office in Malaysia. The Coordinator, Safety & Security will design and coordinate the implementation of sound security practices; enhance the security & safety of IJM staff; protect IJM assets; and minimize operational risks.
This position is based at Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia and reports Field Office Director, Malaysia.
This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive list of activities, duties or responsibilities for the position. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice. All positions are required to perform any additional tasks assigned by the supervisor. The position may require flexible hours with the possibility of working nights and weekends.
Lead Field Office Security Strategies
- Develop and implement comprehensive security strategies and operational protocols for IJM Malaysia field office personnel and property in accordance with IJM Global security standards;
- Design and implement security, emergency management, and contingency plans;
- Conduct recurring reviews and inspections of security procedures, policies and systems;
- Maintain detailed records of field office security work and policies;
- Train and equip all IJM personnel and consultants with the necessary knowledge and skills to mitigate risk and engage in IJM’s mission with high safety standards.
Threats Analysis & Mitigation Strategies
- Identify and evaluate threats to the safety and security of field office staff and property, and develop mitigation strategies;
- Provide guidance and recommendations to field office staff and leadership for the safety, security and protection of staff;
- Prepare threat assessments and conduct safety and security reviews for IJM staff, clients and casework;
- Develop, implement and review risk mitigation strategies and operational security plans for field work in collaboration with relevant stakeholders, counterparts and IJM teams;
- Debrief security related critical incidents and document strengths, gaps, and lessons learned.
Operational Support & Crisis Management
- Establish and monitor office access control mechanisms for IJM site and/or offices;
- Design and implement a policy to screen and mitigate security risks related to the visitors and vendors coming into the office;
- Assist in the selection/training of field office and contract security personnel;
- Design, implement, and train staff on evacuation procedures (fire, medical, political, disaster and security related incidents) and ensure office compliance with fire regulations and building safety codes;
- Provide on-the-ground expertise in response to emergent threats to IJM personnel and property;
- Develop and implement controls and mitigations to operational security risks and deficiencies;
- Manage security requirements for special events, including hosting visitors;
- Assess the security of external locations where IJM will be hosting events (as requested);
- Maintain updated staff communication trees and recall rosters;
- Monitor the location and verify the safety of field office staff;
- Gather information pertinent to the security of the IJM office, clients or staff;
- Develop, maintain and leverage key relationships with government, commercial and NGO security professionals in Malaysia;
- Provide on-the-ground expertise in response to critical incidents and input to field office leadership on crisis management;
- Monitor national and regional security incident reporting, maintain a database of incidents and ensure appropriate dissemination of information during emergencies;
- Ensure that concise, thorough and timely written reports are produced for all security-related activities.
- Train field office staff in security strategies and operational and travel protocols and ensure that IJM staff have the necessary training and support at all times to deal with and mitigate risks and threats that arise in their work;
- Orient new staff, interns, fellows, consultants and other visitors on safety and security issues related to the office and project areas;
- Ensure security and contingency plans are incorporated into all IJM work and develop a culture of security awareness among staff;
- Assess and provide recommendations on security related equipment for the office and the field, and work with the equipment custodian for replace or repair when needed.
- Facilitate regular communications on security matters to ensure field office staff are equipped with adequate knowledge, tools and resources to comply with security protocols and best practices.
- Liaise with Field Office Director, Regional Security Director and Director of IJM Global Security to provide regular reporting and updates on security issues in Malaysia;
- Participate in IJM programs promoting professional growth.
Education & Technical Competencies
- Bachelor’s degree in security management or related field;
- Minimum 3 years’ experience in managing security operations, preferably for non-profit or international organizations; physical, protective, and operational security;
- Proven ability to design, successfully implement and review tactical security operations in the field;
- Familiar with the general landscape & country situation in Malaysia
- Expertise in the analysis of security threats, risks and vulnerability in Malaysia;
- Experience in crisis management;
- Experience training security officers and contractors;
- Experience working in a multi-disciplinary, cross-cultural environment;
- Strong oral and written communications skills;
- Fluent in oral and written English, and can converse well in Bahasa Malaysia;
- Computer literate with a high level of proficiency in Microsoft Word and Outlook;
- Valid driver’s license.
- Committed team player, able to develop effective working relationships in multi-disciplinary, cross-cultural teams;
- Willingness to work under potentially hazardous conditions;
- Ability to work effectively under stress;
- Physically fit;
- Effective multi-tasker, attentive to detail and disciplined with priorities;
- Self-starter with strong initiative;
- Pro-active, creative problem solver;
- Unassailable honesty and integrity;
- Ability to work independently;
- Strong service ethic and a passion for IJM’s mission and goals; and
- Diplomatic and flexible.
- Self-starter with strong initiative;
- Disciplined with priorities;
- Strong interpersonal skills and self-awareness;
- Exceptional verbal and written communication;
- Flexible, collaborative and eager to support others;
- Effective team player who fosters collaborative environment; and
- Adept at creative problem solving.
How to apply: Interested applicants, please send your Cover Letter, IJM Application Form (please click here for the template) and CV/Resume in English to email@example.com not later than 31 October 2022.
Remarks: Only shortlisted candidate will be contacted.