International Justice Mission (IJM) is a global organization that protects the vulnerable from violence by partnering with government authorities to rescue victims, bring criminals to justice, restore survivors, and strengthen criminal justice systems so they protect the vulnerable from violence and abuse long-term. IJM is a global team of lawyers, social workers and other professionals. IJM has 19 field offices across the globe, including multiple offices in Southeast Asia. IJM is headquartered in Washington, DC. In Thailand, IJM Foundation works with Thai authorities and non-government partners to eliminate human trafficking and forced labor from the Thai fishing and seafood industries, with support from the Walmart Foundation. IJM lawyers, fieldworkers, social workers and other professionals support Thai law enforcement, social services, prosecutors and the courts to identify and prosecute cases of forced labor and human trafficking crimes, and restore labor trafficking survivors to safety and strength, while IJM’s Public Engagement team works to build strategic partnerships with civil society organizations, corporate and business stakeholders, local community and faith leaders and other partners of good will.
IJM Foundation is seeking a skilled, experienced, Fieldworker (Khmer or Myanmar speaking) who will be responsible for gathering and monitoring information on cases of labor trafficking. The Fieldworker will seek to secure reliable, timely and actionable information concerning victims, witnesses, and perpetrators of criminal activity within the project area. This position is based in Bangkok, Thailand and will require travel within Thailand. This position reports to the Head of Investigations and Law Enforcement Development (HILED) of IJM Foundation.
Roles and Responsibilities
Strategy & Knowledge Development & Implementation
- Strategically conduct thorough, detailed, and well-documented information gathering related to cases of labor trafficking
Networking & Partnership
- Recruit and maintain a network of operatives and informants who provide reliable, timely and actionable information regarding cases of labor trafficking;
- Collaborate with community members and NGO partners to receive and respond to reports of trafficking, gathering accurate and relevant information about trafficking activity within communities, and strategically analyzing case work;
- Develop and maintain strong working relationships with governmental officials from relevant Thai and international law enforcement agencies to support the development, investigation, and prosecution of human trafficking cases;
Documentation, Reporting & Data Management
- Competently work with various databases, record management systems, communication networks, and specialized equipment
- Develop a thorough working knowledge of relevant laws and criminal procedures regarding labor trafficking cases;
- Develop a thorough working knowledge of the methods of human traffickers and the methods and techniques used to gather information and evidence to document labor trafficking crimes effectively
- Collaborate regularly with members of IJM Foundation’s legal and aftercare departments on cases
- Draft fieldwork plans; write detailed, daily field reports and submit them to the HILED or his designee in a timely manner
- Maintain strict confidentiality of all fieldwork, fieldwork strategies, and other privileged and sensitive information
- Serve, if necessary, as a witness to the crimes committed
- Comply with all IJM Foundation and Thai government requirements
- Carry out additional assignments as required by the HILED.
- This position reports to the Head of Investigations and Law Enforcement Development
- No roles report to this position.
Education & Experience
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited university preferred but not required; minimum of a high school education with graduation certificate
- One-year experience in conducting field investigations or other relevant experience; experience in the justice sector preferred
- Experience working with migrant workers or victims of human trafficking preferred
- No criminal record
- Valid driver’s license and passport (or able to obtain).
- Fluency in oral and written communication in Khmer or Myanmar; fluency or intermediate English preferred; additional language ability in Thai preferred
- Computer literate and proficient in Microsoft Office applications (specifically Word, Excel and Outlook) preferred;
- Strong, humble service ethic and a passion for IJM Foundation’s mission;
- Superior attention to detail;
- Disciplined with priorities;
- Personable with a sustained positive attitude;
- Punctual; manages time and resources effectively;
- Excellent interpersonal skills;
- Diplomatic, flexible, and mature in judgment;
- Effective team player and leader;
- Patient and able to work well under stress;
- Able to problem solve in difficult situations;
- Able to work some irregular hours (e.g. some early mornings, late nights or weekends) and able to travel to other provinces;
- Strong cross-cultural communication ability and experience or desire to work comfortably within a multi-ethnic and multi-disciplinary team; and
- Passion to help people suffering injustice and oppression.
- Deadline: 15 October 2020
- Interested person please submit IJM application form with your CV to BangkokRecruiting@ijm.org
- Only completed applications (IJM Job Application Form and CV) will be reviewed.
- For further information:
- Go to this: IJM job advertisement and click on the position name for Job Description
- Or visit our website https://www.ijm.org/careers/field-and-partner-office-job-openings/