Who We Are
IJM is the global leader in protecting the poor from violence in the developing world. Our global team of over 1,000 professionals are at work in over 25 countries. Together, we are catalyzing a global revolution that will rescue millions, protect half a billion, and make justice for the poor unstoppable.
Motivated by God’s call to seek justice for the oppressed, we believe that the way we work is as important as the results we achieve. We are a global community that cares for one another. We value joy and celebration, and we strive to provide professional excellence to all those we serve.
The Regional Grants Accountant position is responsible for accounting, bookkeeping, and maintaining records of grants financial transactions and ensures compliance with all financial policies. This position reports to the Regional Lead (Global Finance and Accounting) and will support the work of justice by participating in the essential business functions of accounts payable and expense management primarily for the Region.
The success of this role is measured by applying the grant expenditure in accordance with related grant agreements, providing transactional support to all grant related finance activities resulting in strong checks and compliance to IJM’s Grants and Finance manuals, maintaining financial records of grants and meeting the organizational and grant specific SLAs.
The ideal candidate will assist the country level finance managers to reconcile all expense reports and cash advances, reviewing daily PRFs, journal vouchers and related documents for accuracy, completeness, and conformance to applicable policies. This position is responsible to assist the grants team in delivering accurate audits, budget analysis, forecast and payment settlements.
- Partner with Regional and Global Grants team to provide efficient and effective decision support.
- Manage all aspects of financial relationships with external groups like sub-grantees, auditors etc.
- Knowledge and understanding of financial software and principles of accounting & bookkeeping.
- Ensure Finance Best Practices policies and procedure are adhered to.
- Perform internal control procedures as needed, including small tools and asset inventories.
- Weekly reports to the program manager on Expense for Grants, Unrestricted and Donor Funds.
- Ensuring timely closure of accounting period.
- Acting on report card findings and communicating changes done through an excel tracker.
- Check in meetings with project staff on grants implementation progress.
- Retrieve financial data, documents to aid in internal decision making.
- Assist with Grants Division team training in specific aspects for grants accounting
- Maintain proper filing of grant related financial documents for easy archiving and retrieval.
- Help country finance staff in filling statutory returns
- Formulate new finance forms to include any necessary changes.
- Tracking monthly/ quarterly expenses as they relate to specific Grants by projects and job tasks, contributing to budget analysis and expenditure monitoring resulting in improved overall grant process of the region.
- Document and report information required for Grant program analysis and M&E.
- Ensure Expenses are correctly coded, supported, authorized, within Grant Budget and inputted into Workday with correct work tags.
- Ensure timely reporting to HQ and to the Donors, if applicable.
- Payroll allocation and processing by Timesheets for each Grant.
- Preparing monthly accounting Journals.
- Remittance of withholding Tax: assist the finance manager to ensure its deducted where possible and remitted on time.
- Vehicle logs: Checking and analyzing KMs travelled to aid in allocating Fuel expenses to grants, unrestricted funds and to Departments.
- Bachelor’s in accounting or equivalent degree; professional qualification preferred
- Minimum two years hands-on accounting experience, preferably a non-profit organization.
- Understanding of Regional/Local regulatory and compliance environment
- Good understanding of the Grants environment and ability to stay current on rules and regulations
- Mature Christian faith with proven ability to lead others in Christian spiritual formation;
- Interpersonal skillset with strong networking ability;
- Exceptional collaborator with diverse teams;
- High credibility with staff and partners
- Customer service excellence
- Experience with Workday or similar ERP systems would be advantageous
Send Job Application (Resume, Cover Letter & Statement of Faith*) to:
*What is a statement of faith?
A statement of faith should describe your Christian faith and how you see it as relevant to your involvement with IJM. The statement can either be incorporated into the cover letter or submitted as a separate document and should include, at a minimum, a description of your spiritual disciplines (prayer, study, etc.) and your current fellowship or place of worship.