International Justice Mission (IJM) is a fast growing international organization working to protect some of the most vulnerable and oppressed people from violent forces of injustice by securing rescue and restoration for victims and ensuring public justice systems work for the poor. IJM is seeking an entry level Investigator who will be responsible for conducting and monitoring human trafficking investigations and securing reliable, timely and actionable information concerning victims and perpetrators of criminal activity within the project area. This position, which reports to the Director of Investigations, is initially based in Accra but upon reasonable notice employee may be asked to transfer to other parts of Ghana.
- Develop a thorough working knowledge of relevant laws and criminal procedures regarding investigations;
- Develop a thorough working knowledge of the modus operandi of forced labor traffickers in the project area;
- Maintain strict confidentiality of all investigations, investigative strategies, and other privileged and sensitive information;
- Recruit and maintain a network of operatives and informants who provide reliable, timely and actionable information regarding cases of forced labor trafficking;
- Assist investigation team in strategizing human trafficking investigations;
- Conduct collaborative and independent human trafficking investigations;
- Conduct collaborative and independent surveillance to locate victims and suspects;
- Write detailed, daily investigative reports;
- Assist in the planning of rescue and arrest operations;
- Assist IJM in building relationships of mutual trust and benefit with key government and non-government actors to ensure holistic care and protection of IJM clients consistent with the law and best practices;
- Assist in the implementation, monitoring and evaluation of strategies and best practices for effective IJM-assisted investigations and interventions on behalf of victims;
- Serve, if necessary, as a witness within criminal court;
- Comply with all IJM, government, and donor requirements;
- Develop and maintain strong relationships with members of other departments within the Field Office; and
- Carry out additional assignments as required by the Director of Investigations, Country Director or his/her designee.
Required Skills and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited university preferred but not required;
- One year experience in conducting criminal investigation preferred but not required;
- Fluency and professionalism in oral and written communication in English as well as Ada, Ewe or Krobo;
- Computer literate and proficient in Microsoft Office applications preferred but not required;
- No criminal record; and
- Licensed and able to drive a four-wheeled motor vehicle.
- Mature orthodox Christian faith as defined by the Apostles’ Creed;
- Willingness to work under potentially hazardous conditions;
- Meticulous attention to detail;
- Disciplined with priorities;
- Patient and able to work well under stress;
- Excellent interpersonal skills, personable, with a heart for service and sustained positive attitude;
- Punctual; manages time and resources effectively;
- Diplomatic, flexible, and mature in judgment;
- Effective team player and leader; and
- Evident passion to help people suffering injustice and oppression.
Send Cover Letter, Resume, & Statement of Faith* By E-mail : firstname.lastname@example.org
*What is a statement of faith?
A statement of faith should describe your Christian faith and how you see it as relevant to your involvement with IJM. The statement can either be incorporated into the cover letter or submitted as a separate document and should include, at a minimum, a description of your spiritual disciplines (prayer, study, etc.) and your current fellowship or place of worship.