Who We Are
IJM is the global leader in protecting the poor from violence in the developing world. Our global team of over 1,200 professionals are at work in 33 offices over 25 countries. Together, we are catalyzing a global movement that will rescue millions, protect half a billion, and make justice for the poor unstoppable.
Motivated by God’s call to seek justice for the oppressed, we believe that the way we work is as important as the results we achieve. We are a global community that cares for one another. We value joy and celebration, and we strive to provide professional excellence to all those we serve.
IJM is seeking a qualified, creative and committed professional Lawyer to use his/her skills and experience to effectively collaborate with IJM’s multi-disciplinary casework teams, represent IJM Cambodia’s clients in civil cases, and ensure successful prosecutions in labor trafficking criminal cases.
This position is based in Phnom Penh, Cambodia and reports to the Head, Casework.
Networking & Partnership:
- Develop and maintain an effective network of contacts within the legal aid space;
- Build relationships of mutual trust and benefit with key government and non-government actors to ensure holistic care and protection of IJM’s clients consistent with the law and best practices.
- Support and advocate to court officials such as Prosecutors, Judges and Court Clerks to ensure successful prosecution and convictions of suspects in IJM’s labor trafficking cases;
- Maintain collaborative, beneficial, ethical relationships with court officials;
- Support Head of Casework and collaborate with other casework team members on designing and implementing legal strategy in cases, educating and communicating with government and civil society partners, and carrying out IJM’s case management protocol;
- Participate in development of content that drives media and advocacy strategies.
Training and Development:
- Contribute to curriculum design and teach at legal education workshops, as assigned.
Documentation, Reporting & Data Management:
- Provide quality data gathering information for monthly and quarterly report, data management in CTMS, JDS, etc.;
- Conduct research, attend meetings; interview clients and witnesses, gather evidence; and appear before courts, legislative bodies, and other authorities, and handle other details in preparation for a trial;
- Assist in the development of Cambodia specific solutions for CTMS/JDS;
Clerical and Administration:
- Participate in all Casework department administrative and planning processes, including weekly team meetings, annual goal and work plan design and implementation, mid-year and year-end evaluations;
- Follow up on cases with court officials and submit legal documents to court.
- Provide effective, appropriate and ethical legal representation to IJM’s clients in labor trafficking-related cases;
- Act as both advocate and advisor in IJM’s cases such as representing IJM’s clients in civil cases by presenting evidence and arguing in court to support the clients and counseling IJM’s clients concerning their legal rights and obligations and other important matters.
- Provide written and verbal translation in English/Khmer for legal documents;
- Prepare for court includes keeping abreast of the latest laws and judicial decisions;
- Participating in interviews/reference checks for recruiting staff and interns to IJM.
- University degree in law (LLB) or a related field;
- Being a full member of the Bar Association of the Kingdom of Cambodia with Certificate of Aptitude in the Legal Profession;
- At least one year’ experience representing clients in criminal/civil court cases;
- Experience working in multi-disciplinary and multi-cultural working environments;
- Experience working in nongovernmental organizations preferred;
- Experience working on labor trafficking cases highly preferred and experience in sexual abuse, sex trafficking or other violent crime or human rights abuse cases preferred;
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills in Khmer and English;
- Analytical skills;
- Computer proficiency in Microsoft Office;
- Effective team player and works respectfully and collaboratively with social workers, law enforcement, and other professional partners in a multicultural environment;
- Demonstrates highest ethical, honest, trustworthy and appropriate behavior in all situations according to Cambodian law, legal ethics, international human rights standards and IJM’s child protection policy.
- Self-starter with strong initiative;
- Disciplined with priorities;
- Strong interpersonal skills and self-awareness;
- Exceptional verbal and written communication;
- Flexible, collaborative and eager to support others;
- Effective team player who fosters collaborative environment; and
- Adept at creative problem solving.
By E-mail (preferred method):
- Deadline: Open until the position is filled.
- Only completed applications will be reviewed. A completed application includes:
- Job Application Form, Resume, Cover Letter & Statement of Faith*
- Download Application Form: here
- A completed application can be submitted to cambodiarecruiting@IJM.org
*Note: Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for an interview within two to four weeks.
*What is a statement of faith?
A statement of faith should describe your Christian faith and how you see it as relevant to your involvement with IJM. The statement can either be incorporated into the cover letter or submitted as a separate document and should include, at a minimum, a description of your spiritual disciplines (prayer, study, etc.) and your current fellowship or place of worship.