Who We Are
International Justice Mission (IJM) is the global leader in protecting vulnerable people from violence around the world. Our global team of over 1,200 professionals are at work in 33 offices. Together, we are catalyzing a global revolution that will rescue millions, protect half a billion, and make justice unstoppable.
Motivated by God’s call to seek justice for the oppressed, we believe that the way we work is as important as the results we achieve. We are a global community that cares for one another. We value joy and celebration, and we strive to provide professional excellence to all those we serve.
After almost 25 years of continued growth and operational success in pioneering the work of protecting those who are experiencing poverty from violence, IJM has become a $100+ million organization. As IJM continues this trajectory of growth and scaling of its impact, with the Vision to protect 500 million people by the year 2030, IJM is seeking a Lead, Law Enforcement Engagement to develop, execute, and lead support to local law enforcement officials and IJM partners investigating forced labour trafficking, helping to ensure victims are rescued and suspects are arrested and prosecuted. The individual will lead IJM’s law enforcement development strategies and activities, including training and curriculum development. The successful candidate will possess experience in criminal investigations and strong communication skills, be able to thrive in a dynamic environment, and be passionate about seeking justice.
This position is based at Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia and reports to Field Office Director, Malaysia.
Leadership and Management
- Work closely with IJM colleagues and partners in carefully planning for and supporting law enforcement to rescue victims and arrest perpetrators, ensuring effective coordination among IJM, partners, and government agencies;
- Lead the IJM Malaysia team and partners to engage in the best case development techniques, encouraging cohesive teamwork and stewardship of IJM resources;
- Ensure adequate staff safety, security and care measures are employed, in coordination with the Field Office Director and Regional Security Director;
- Ensure that detailed records are maintained for all fieldwork and interventions, including consistent and comprehensive use of internal case tracking and management tools;
- Increase the Malaysia team’s effectiveness, efficiency, and organization by developing, maintaining, and updating operating protocols and intervention strategies, as necessary;
- Maintain communication with field office leadership on the status of cases; and
- Ensure full implementation of IJM Malaysia grant obligations regarding law enforcement-related engagement and capacity building.
Strategy & Knowledge Development & Implementation
- Assess law enforcement capacity to sustainably combat forced labour trafficking in Malaysia;
- Develop and document a thorough understanding of Malaysian and other relevant laws and criminal procedures regarding investigations, arrests, search and seizure, and the charging of trafficking suspects;
- Provide expert consultation, and monitor the improvement of law enforcement in combating forced labour trafficking;
- Provide expertise and assistance to Malaysian law enforcement and NGO partners in case development;
- Develop and maintain operational best practices in case development for IJM personnel and partners;
- Contribute to justice system strengthening strategies, implementation and monitoring and evaluation; and
- Serve as witness in cases supported by IJM, as necessary and appropriate.
Networking & Partnership
- Maintain good working relationships, collaborate with and provide support to IJM partners in case management;
- Liaise with local and international law enforcement agencies, and NGO partners as applicable, to advocate for proper action on referrals; and
- Develop and maintain good working relationships with key law enforcement stakeholders, specialized law enforcement team leaders, government officials, NGOs and other relevant organizations.
General Accounting & Statutory Compliance
- Support development and management of the budget for case development and law enforcement capacity building activities, spending funds according to IJM’s budgetary and stewardship principles.
- Ensure compliance with all relevant laws, IJM policies and best practices;
- Update and use IJM’s casework tracking systems and other data collection, monitoring and evaluation tools.
This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive list of activities, duties or responsibilities for the position. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice. All positions are required to perform any additional tasks assigned by the supervisor. The position may require flexible hours with the possibility of working nights and weekends.
Education & Experience:
- Minimum 10 years of experience in criminal investigations with a public law enforcement agency in Malaysia;
- Minimum 2 years of leadership and team-building experience;
- Experience and understanding of human trafficking cases; and
- Familiar with global law enforcement networks that combat human trafficking preferred.
- Fluency in oral and written English and Bahasa Malaysia, exceptional written and verbal communication (can make complex, technical concepts easy to understand); and
- Demonstrated interest in human rights and social justice.
- Resilient and works well under stress with a sustained positive attitude;
- Proven ability to lead cross-culturally to achieve significant outcomes and impact;
- Strong leadership, management and coaching ability with high level of emotional intelligence;
- Ability to mitigate conflict or disagreement in a professional manner;
- Professional, diplomatic, and mature in judgment and demeanor; and
- Unfailing integrity and honesty.
- Self-starter with strong initiative;
- Disciplined with priorities;
- Strong interpersonal skills and self-awareness;
- Exceptional verbal and written communication;
- Flexible, collaborative and eager to support others;
- Effective team player who fosters collaborative environment; and
- Adept at creative problem solving.
How to apply: Interested applicants, please send your Cover Letter, IJM Application Form (please click here for the template) and CV/Resume in English to email@example.com not later than 15 April 2022.
Remarks: Only shortlisted candidate will be contacted.