Who We Are
IJM is seeking a Lead, Legal Services to manage, directly and through other service providers, support for investigations and prosecutions in cases of human trafficking in Malaysia. He or she will liaise with government officials, legal and survivor service professionals in order to secure justice for victims of forced labour and human trafficking crimes and hold perpetrators accountable. The individual will provide and facilitate training and guidance to government and NGO partners on legal issues related to forced labour and human trafficking. He or she will set a standard of excellent preparation and performance, hard work, empathy, and the highest ethical standards. The qualified candidate will be a smart, motivated, analytical, and high-achieving Malaysian lawyer with a passion to protect the poor and vulnerable from violence by using their legal skills. The position is based in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia and may require travel within Malaysia and regionally. This position reports to the Field Office Director, Malaysia.
Key Result Areas
- Coordinate effectively with DPPs, court officials, lawyers, police officers and NGOs to strengthen cases against forced labour exploitation and human trafficking;
- Identify, develop and manage a network of lawyers willing to support victims in cases of human trafficking and to advise IJM and other NGOs on case referrals;
- Advise and assist IJM Malaysia’s staff and partners providing care to survivors on legal matters pertaining to effective care of victims of trafficking;
- Provide and facilitate training to government authorities and other IJM Malaysia partners on legal issues related to forced labour and human trafficking offences, laws and criminal procedure.
Roles and Responsibilities
Leadership and Management
- Ensure IJM Malaysia legal intervention activities adhere to global IJM standards, and the highest standards of legal and professional ethics;
- Manage all aspects of the legal docket pertaining to IJM Malaysia cases;
- Manage and ensure legal activities and objectives are achieved;
- Provide timely, concise and thorough reports on achievements and challenges; and
- Ensure full implementation of IJM Malaysia grant obligations regarding legal casework and capacity building.
- Fully understand criminal code and procedure as well as current and future laws and procedure related to forced labour and human trafficking crimes;
- Guide IJM Malaysia’s strategy to support deputy public prosecutors in forced labour and human trafficking criminal cases;
- Develop relationships with DPPs, court officials, lawyers, police and NGOs with whom IJM and its partners can collaborate in forced labour exploitation and human trafficking cases;
- Consult with IJM Malaysia program partners and their legal counsel, as applicable, to strengthen legal strategies and cases;
- Perform preparatory legal work and support legal research in forced labor exploitation and human trafficking cases;
- Work with external legal counsel to develop and implement litigation plans for each case to pursue criminal and civil remedies for victims of forced labour exploitation and human trafficking;
- Obtain accountability for perpetrators through conviction, asset seizure, or other penalties, and justice for victims, including compensation or payment of unpaid wages;
- Advise the IJM Malaysia Law Enforcement Engagement personnel and partner organizations in preparation of cases; and
- Advise and assist the IJM Malaysia Survivor Services personnel and partner organizations on legal matters pertaining to effective care of victims of trafficking.
Partnership and Capacity Building
- Identify, develop and manage a network of lawyers to provide legal assistance for TIP victims during the criminal justice process and in any related civil claims, and to advise IJM and other NGOs on case referrals; and
- Provide and facilitate training to government authorities and other IJM Malaysia partners on legal issues related to forced labour and human trafficking offenses, laws and criminal procedure.
General Accounting & Statutory Compliance
- Support development of annual budget for legal casework and capacity building activities, and manage spending of funds in accordance with IJM Malaysia’s budget and stewardship principles.
- Ensure compliance with all relevant laws, IJM policies and best practices;
- Update and use IJM’s casework tracking systems and other data collection, monitoring and evaluation tools;
- Perform other duties and tasks as assigned by the Field Office Director.
This position reports to the Field Office Director. No roles report to this position.
Education & Experience
- Master’s Degree in Law preferred (L.L.M.);
- Bachelor’s Degree in Law (L.L.B) required;
- Minimum 5-7 years’ experience practicing law as a DPP/ Federal Counsel, at a law firm or a corporate/ NGO legal department; and
- Litigation experience preferred.
- Effective communication that enhances productivity and facilitates positive workplace relationships;
- Strong research, writing and verbal communication skills in English and Bahasa Malaysia; and
- Effective presentation skills.
- Resilient and works well under stress with a sustained positive attitude;
- Proven ability to lead cross-culturally to achieve significant outcomes and impact;
- Strong leadership, management and coaching ability with high level of emotional intelligence; and
- Ability to mitigate conflict or disagreement in a professional manner
Applications should include:
- A cover letter, explaining why you are interested and qualified for the position;
- A curriculum vitae; and
- A completed IJM application form (Click here to access the application form).