Who We Are
IJM is the global leader in protecting the poor from violence in the developing world. Our global team of over 1,000 professionals are at work in over 25 countries. Together, we are catalyzing a global revolution that will rescue millions, protect half a billion, and make justice for the poor unstoppable.
Motivated by God’s call to seek justice for the oppressed, we believe that the way we work is as important as the results we achieve. We are a global community that cares for one another. We value joy and celebration, and we strive to provide professional excellence to all those we serve.
The Global Assurance Team (GAT) is a service unit recently established to help monitor IJM’s compliance with international financial policies and procedures as well as applicable external financial statutory and regulatory requirements. As a precursor to an internal audit function, GAT’s mission is to enhance and protect organizational value by providing objective assurance and consulting services.
GAT is therefore primarily responsible for reviewing financial records and related internal controls and business processes for the purpose of providing an independent assessment of IJM’s financial compliance. This function involves the communication of results to concerned parties as well as the following up of actions taken towards addressing compliance exceptions or control weaknesses.
This position reports to the Head of Global Assurance.
Strategy & Knowledge Development & Implementation:
- Implement/execute annual audit plans
- Review monthly FO finance packets for compliance with IJM finance policies/best practices, US GAAP and/or local accounting standards, local statutory as well as donor-specific requirements.
- Execute audit/review plans for specific grant(s) including mid-tenure and grant closeout audits.
- Participate in the development of an annual onsite compliance review plan
- Execute onsite audit plan for IJM Filed Offices
- Assist/co-develop various assessment/review tools and perform/assign periodic risk assessments reviews for IJM Field Offices around statutory compliances, financial operations, systems and processes.
- Provide technical guidance and direction in the Annual “Agreed upon Procedure” audit planning process.
Networking & Partnership:
- Perform other quick response review (consulting services) as requested by FO/regional/HQ leadership (e.g. fraud investigation, grant agreement review etc.).
- Participate in global/FO financial systems and/or business process improvement initiatives (e.g. Workday roll-out, Business Process Mapping, Blueprinting etc.).
Policies and Procedures:
- Recommend policy and procedural changes and alternative strategies to continuously improve field office internal controls, ensure good stewardship of resources, detect and prevent fraud.
- Recommend updates of reference manuals and other resources to thoroughly document internal controls and finance policies in ways that are accessible and easily understood by diverse field office staff.
- Provide comments/feedback to proposed changes in global/FO finance policies, procedures, and best practices.
- Provide Monthly and Quarterly feedback to the FO on review results and findings for corrective actions.
- Perform periodic reviews of specific internal controls system/practices and standards and share results of such reviews with appropriate parties.
- Follow through on the effective implementation of the recommendations made by GA Team as part of the ongoing improvement initiatives.
- Follow through on implementation of auditors’ recommendation and corrective actions and monitor the progress as per implementation plan to ensure the matters arising are fully resolved.
Training and Development:
- Develop/deliver training to FO leadership and/or finance and non-finance teams on internal controls, fraud prevention, and other financial compliance related topics.
- Provide advice and guidance on ways to improve and innovate existing field office finance training materials for use in multiple learning platforms.
- Identify specific training needs and/or performance improvement plans for Field Offices.
- Execute onsite audits for selected/planned IJM Filed Offices annually.
- Maintain updated knowledge and abreast of regulatory developments internally/externally to ensure compliance.
- Participate in spiritual formation and staff care activities to promote holistic health;
- Participate in division/department/team/FO meetings and supervisor check-ins;
- Pursue professional development opportunities, including continuing professional education requirements for maintaining an accounting/internal audit certification
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting/Finance;
- CPA and/or Internal Audit certification preferred;
- At least 3 years’ experience in internal auditing and/or financial compliance;
- Previous experience working in an international non-profit organization preferred.
- Familiarity with regional and/or local accounting, US GAAP and Statutory/Regulatory requirements.
- Data collection and analysis
- Business process analysis
- Internal control identification and evaluation
- Problem identification and solution
- Communication skills (including oral, written, report writing, and presentation)
- Keeping up to date with industry and regulatory changes and professional standards
- Organizational skills (including planning/coordinating review engagements and time management)
- Conflict resolution/negotiation skills
- Behavioral skills:
- confidentiality, objectivity/independence, judgment
- work well with all management levels
- governance and ethics sensitivity
- team player, work with minimal supervision
- relationship/team building
- Mature orthodox Christian faith as defined by the Apostles’ Creed
- Strong service ethic and passion to help people suffering injustice
- Organized, detail-oriented, and disciplined with priorities
- Excellent interpersonal skills and strong emotional intelligence
- Patient, flexible, and persistent
- Unfailing integrity and honesty
- Effective team player and leader
- Works well under stress and minimal supervision
- Punctual, manages time and resources effectively
- Professional, diplomatic, and mature in judgment and demeanor
- Able to work effectively and appropriately in a cross-cultural setting, and
- Able to maintain confidentiality of sensitive information.
Send Job Application (Resume, Cover Letter & Statement of Faith*) to: email@example.com
*What is a statement of faith?
A statement of faith should describe your Christian faith and how you see it as relevant to your involvement with IJM. The statement can either be incorporated into the cover letter or submitted as a separate document and should include, at a minimum, a description of your spiritual disciplines (prayer, study, etc.) and your current fellowship or place of worship.