Lead, Safety & Security, IJM Ghana
Who We Are
International Justice Mission (IJM) is the global leader in protecting vulnerable people from violence around the world. Our team of over 1,200 professionals are at work worldwide in over 30 offices. Together we are on a mission to rescue millions, protect half a billion, and make justice unstoppable.
We are a global community that cares for one another. We believe that the way we work is as important as the results we achieve. We provide professional excellence with joy and celebration to all those we serve.
IJM Ghana partners with Ghanaian government agencies to tackle human trafficking by rescuing victims, ensuring perpetrator accountability, restoring survivors to safety and strength, and supporting public justice actors to strengthen systems that protect the vulnerable.
For 25 years, IJM has pioneered the work to protect vulnerable people from violence. As we grow to expand our impact to protect 500 million people from violence by 2030, we are seeking a Lead, Safety & Security to embed sound security practices to enhance the safety and security of the organization.
This position is based in Accra, Ghana and reports to Associate Director, Administration.
- Provide on-the-ground leadership during potential security risks and threats arising from changing political, social, or economic contexts where IJM field office is located;
- Advise Field office (FO) on the necessary plans and strategies to ensure that the security of staff and clients are managed considering the requirements of regular day to day operations of the Field Office;
- Ensure a high security culture across all IJM programmes across Ghana and the West Africa hub;
- Contribute to initiatives and process development;
- Ensure formal and informal trainings such as safety and security trainings, briefings, and updates are completed as needed for staff, new hires, partners, and visitors;
- Ensure IJM staff are consistently kept aware of contemporary security threats and risks, as necessary;
- Ensure IJM staff follow and adhere to operational safety and security protocols; and
- Management and Development of team members.
- Bachelor’s degree in emergency studies, safety and security, criminal justice, government relations, or business management;
- Minimum 3 years of successfully leading teams to achieve aggressive objectives in challenging environments with excellent outcomes;
- Experience in relevant country contexts preferred;
- Minimum 5 years within Safety and Security or emergency services.
- Proven ability to serve as a spiritual leader and mentor;
- Proven ability to lead cross-culturally to achieve significant outcomes and impact;
- Effective networker with proven track record of engaging key stakeholders needed to accomplish significant objectives;
- High level of professionalism, confidentiality, and discretion;
- Relevant work experience: knowledge of investigative techniques, experience with various government social service programs and NGOs working in Ghana is preferred;
- Experience in crises management;
- Oral and written communication in English is required, but knowledge of additional languages such as local Ghanaian Languages, French, etc. is a plus;
- Computer literate and proficient in Microsoft Office Suite applications is required;
- No criminal record; and
- This position is based in Accra, with occasional travel across various regions as needed.
- Mature Christian faith as defined by the Apostles’ Creed;
- Self-starter with strong initiative;
- Disciplined with priorities;
- Strong interpersonal skills and self-awareness;
- Exceptional verbal and written communication;
- Flexible, collaborative, and eager to support others;
- Effective team player who fosters collaborative environment;
- Adept at creative problem solving;
- Evident passion to help people suffering injustice and oppression;
- Willingness to work under potentially hazardous conditions;
- Meticulous attention to detail;
- Patient and able to work well under stress;
- Punctual; manages time and resources effectively; and
- Diplomatic, flexible, and mature in judgment.
Please submit Resume/CV, Cover Letter, and Statement of Faith* in one document to firstname.lastname@example.org
*What is a statement of faith?
A statement of faith should describe your Christian faith and how you see it as relevant to your involvement with IJM. The statement can either be incorporated into the cover letter or submitted as a separate document which should not more than a page, and should include, at a minimum, a description of your spiritual disciplines (prayer, study, etc.) and your current fellowship or place of worship.
What does IJM have to offer?
IJM offers competitive salary within industry standard, as well as other benefits such as medical insurance and a staff care package.
IJM holds strict safeguarding principles and a zero tolerance to violations of the Safeguarding Policy, Protection against Sexual Exploitation, Abuse and Harassment Policy and Code of Conduct. Parallel to technical competence, recruitment, selection and hiring decisions will give due emphasis to assessing the candidates value congruence and thorough background, police clearance and reference check processes.