Who We Are
IJM is the global leader in protecting the poor from violence in the developing world. Our global team of over 1,000 professionals are at work in over 25 countries. Together, we are catalyzing a global revolution that will rescue millions, protect half a billion, and make justice for the poor unstoppable.
Motivated by God’s call to seek justice for the oppressed, we believe that the way we work is as important as the results we achieve. We are a global community that cares for one another. We value joy and celebration, and we strive to provide professional excellence to all those we serve.
The Asia Pacific (APAC) Regional Legal Counsel plays a crucial role in ensuring IJM Asia Pacific successfully carries out our mission. As the first Legal Counsel based in APAC’s regional business operations team, the candidate will develop legal counsel strategy, processes and partnerships that will strengthen our Program and Advancement Offices’ ability to meet their objectives, in order to achieve our 2030 Vision to protect half a billion people in poverty from violence. The APAC Legal Counsel will also provide a wide range of transactional and operational legal support, expert counsel, oversight and partner management to ensure APAC’s leaders and teams receive effective, accurate, efficient and helpful support.
The APAC Legal Counsel will work in close partnership with the Regional President and Regional Leadership Team to ensure our key regional and national office legal questions, compliance issues and risk management needs are addressed. This position will also work closely with IJM Global Office of the General Counsel to contribute to, ensure regional-level adherence to, and implement Global-level standards and policy.
The APAC Legal Counsel reports to the Asia Pacific Regional President with dotted-line alignment to the IJM Global General Counsel, based in Washington, D.C.
Preferred Location: Manila, Philippines or Bangkok, Thailand. No relocation assistance available.
Strategy, Knowledge Management & Program Implementation
- Participate and contribute to the strategic planning of IJM Global’s Office of General Counsel’s standards, policy and projects that will be implemented at the regional and national level.
- Develop APAC’s first regional-level Legal Counsel strategy, processes, communication, reporting and support mechanisms in support of the regional strategy and in alignment with leadership.
- Build a deep understanding of the governance, legal counsel support needs, and risks faced at the APAC regional-level and by every national office in the region, in order to develop an appropriate, timely, creative and effective responses.
- Develop and manage direct legal counsel projects across the region, including providing consultation, transactional support, guiding legal partners on local projects, guiding governance and board matters, assessing and building national legal compliance in national offices, ensuring regional compliance with Global OGC standards and policies, and more.
Networking & Partnership
- Build trusted, responsive, service-focused partnerships with regional leaders, including the Regional President, Business Operations leaders, all National Office Directors and key national managers.
- Actively contribute to IJM Global’s Legal Counsel network and work in close collaboration as appropriate with the all Regional Legal Counsels within the organization.
- Network externally with leading legal professionals, law firms and law schools, and develop a cadre of expert partners whom we can call upon to support various needs across the region.
Policies and Procedures
- Contribute to development of Global-level policies and standards in support of the Office of the General Counsel, develop regional-level policies in gap areas, and review regional-level and national policies or procedures that need legal consultation.
- Consult and collaborate with Regional and National level People Operations, Security, or Finance leaders on key issues, concerns, contracts, policies or other areas that need Legal Counsel input.
Management & Contracts
- Establish and manage a cadre of external legal services partners that provide a combination of pro bono and fee-for-service legal support for APAC’s national teams. This could include law firms, individual attorneys, legal non-profits, universities and others.
- Review and ensure compliance with contracts developed with business operations and program partners across the region.
Communication, Training & Reporting
- Communicate with the Global Office of the General Counsel to provide updates on the APAC region as well as provide feedback and build into global-level policies, standards and practices.
- Provide training and consultation to relevant regional and national staff on Global and National-level policies, standards, requirements, common practice, etc.
- Provide training, public speaking, or other guidance to external legal-counsel related partners (law firms, universities, etc.) on IJM’s theory of change, mission, strategy and Legal Counsel support needs.
- Provide regular written reports to the Regional President and Global Office of the General Counsel on Legal Counsel projects and KPIs.
- The role has a straight reporting line to the APAC Regional President and dotted line to the Global General Counsel.
- As the region grows, this role may supervise regional-level Legal Counsel, compliance or other support roles.
- The position will manage external Legal Counsel-related contract and pro-bono partners.
- Law degree (J.D. or international equivalent) and active bar membership.
- Minimum of 4 years’ experience as a lawyer in a law firm or in-house setting.
- Minimum of 3 years serving in a regional or multi-national position, supporting national offices and managing legal partners and projects across multiple jurisdictions.
- Experience in non-profit/charity and fundraising legal matters preferred but not required.
- General knowledge of regional and nation-specific laws and legal networks in IJM’s office locations.
- Demonstrated skills in strategic planning, management for results, and working well with other disciplines to ensure success at common objectives.
- Ability to regularly travel to other offices within the region.
Interested applicants, please send your Cover Letter and CV/Resume in English to email@example.com not later than 31 July 2021.