Regional Manager, Finance & Accounting, Asia Pacific
Asia Pacific, Thailand, Philippines
Who We Are
International Justice Mission (IJM) is the global leader in protecting vulnerable people from violence around the world. Our team of over 1,200 professionals are at work worldwide in over 30 offices. Together we are on a mission to rescue millions, protect half a billion, and make justice unstoppable.
We are a global community that cares for one another. We believe that the way we work is as important as the results we achieve. We provide professional excellence with joy and celebration to all those we serve.
For 25 years, IJM has pioneered the work to protect vulnerable people from violence. As we grow to expand our impact to protect 500 million people from violence by 2030, we are seeking a Regional Manager, Finance & Accounting, Asia Pacific (APAC) to provide team management of the APAC Regional Accounting Services (RAS) team and Country Office accounting, financial and procurement activities, including grant accounting and reporting, consolidation of global financial operations, compliance to common global Finance policies and support the use of accounting and financial management systems (Workday, QuickBooks etc.).
This position is to be based in the Philippines or Thailand and reports to the Director, Global Finance & Accounting, with a dotted-line reporting to the Regional President, APAC.
Leadership and Management
- Lead the Regional Accounting Services (RAS) team to provide accounting and grants support to country offices in peparation of timely and accurate financial statements that refelct the totality of the region’s operations by the 10th business day of each month.
- Collaborate with the APAC Regional Functions Team and leadership leadership in driving organizational financial strategies and priorities, policy adoption and compliance, and providing Accounting and Procurement expertise related to office expansion, crisis situations, and other multi-functional team initiatives.
- Provide a healthy and supportive employee management experience to the RAS team by modeling staff care support, professional development, and annual performance management.
Strategy & Knowledge Development & Implementation
- Provide leadership to the Region on procedural changes and alternative strategies in a continuous effort to improve regional financial reporting and procedural compliance.
- Provide ongoing coaching and guidance to all Country Office Accounting Leads through a monthly community of practice to ensure shared learning, knowledge development, and both raising up and bringing down of knowledge and strategies.
Networking & Partnership
- Maintain a close working relationship with Regional Leadership and Country Directors, and Country finance teams for the purpose of building strong collaboration with the RAS team, obtaining data, resolving anomalies, and assisting with proper account coding and ensure consistency among Global and regional financial records.
Policies and Procedures
- Provide input to regularly update written finance processes documenting accounting treatment for field offices.
- Provide periodic training and ongoing coaching to Country Offices on Accounting, Procurement and Grants Accounting-related policies and procedures.
- Ensure compliance with Accounting, Procurement and Grants Accounting-related policies and procedures.
Training and Development
- Recruit, retain and develop a team of Regional Accounting Services that develop, support and carry out financial accounting operations for the region.
- Equip the Regional Accounting Services and Country Office finance teams by providing technical accounting guidance, training, tools, and templates that enable them to utilize IJM’s financial policies and procedures to account for and produce reliable financial data and reports.
- Perform on-site Country Office financial support and reviews as necessary and provide training as needed for Regional and Country Office finance, and general staff on accounting policies, procedures, and internal controls.
- Manage the setup of new Country Offices and train new staff in accordance with IJM’s finance manuals.
- Work with other Global Finance & Accounting and the Assurance team to ensure consistent accounting practices across Country Offices.
- Along with the IJM Regional Grants Management team, provide expert guidance on compliance and accounting for grants to Country Office finance.
- Assist with the review of award budgets, spending plans, awards modifications, and changes as needed, and sub-grantee risk assessments.
Documentation, Reporting & Data Management
- Ensure the timely review and upload of Country Office financial transactions for monthly close and reporting at IJM Global office.
- Support the management of restricted awards for compliance with donor regulations and the accurate accounting and timely reporting to IJM managers and donors.
- Manage the receipt, review, and general ledger recording of Country Offices’ income, expenses, and balance sheet items monthly in accordance with GAAP.
- Expeditiously resolve all outstanding, irreconcilable, uncategorized, or improperly categorized transactions; instruct field office on adjustments to be made when errors are encountered;
- Collect, organize and analyze information and financial documents from the field to support IJM’s annual corporate independent financial and Uniform Guidance (Single) audits.
- Prepare scheduled and/or ad hoc financial reports for donors that are timely, complete and accurate.
- Analyze burn rates, produce grant BvA and projection reports including cost share requirements.
- Monitor sub-grantees’ financial expenses compared to their obligations and prepare, review, or approve modifications.
General Accounting & Statutory Compliance
- Manage IJM Global’s copies of field office monthly financial documents and provide them for audit as needed.
- Manage grants and projects for proper and accurate expenditure charging, revenue recognition, Deferred Revenue and Receivables reconciliations and timely invoicing of donors.
- Oversee financial management/reporting/close-out for grant award(s), liaising as appropriate with the grants management and regional program teams at headquarters and Country Office finance and program managers.
- Lead the finance section for award implementation start-up workshops;
- Assist with contracted partners’ or sub-grantees’ contractual agreements, tools for accounting and reporting expenses, tools and processes for sub-recipient monitoring, amendments, and close-outs.
- Assist People Recruiting teams, Country Office and Hub Vice Presidents in hiring and developing Country Office finance staff.
- Advanced Accounting/Finance degree or CPA preferred.
- At least five years’ experience as an accountant, auditor, or similar position; of which three years is in the international not-for-profit environment.
- At least 2 years' experience leading at a regional level, with experience working across various country offices, regulatory environments, and cultures in Asia Pacific; and
- At least 3-5 years of supervisory experience.
- Working knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP), an understanding of general journal entries and foreign currency exchange and translation;
- Knowledge and experience with US government grant making rules (2 CFR 200) and other private and international institutions awards;
- Experience and mid to advanced-level competency with Microsoft Excel and/or other similar software packages.
- Experience with electronic financial and accounting systems (Experience using Workday and QuickBooks preferred).
- Ability to effectively communicate and collaborate with people from diverse cultures and disciplines.
- Capacity to accurately and objectively evaluate the effectiveness and outcomes of strategies and activities and implementing appropriate adjustments;
- Experience in training individuals and small groups;
- Ability to remain winsome, professional, loving and engaged in professional disagreement or conflict.
- Ability to maintain a service-oriented outlook and engage in cross-functional initiatives, and creative problem solving ensuring that our Country Offices succeed at their missional objectives; and
- Open to work travels.
Please submit Resume/CV and Cover Letter in one document to firstname.lastname@example.org not later than 15 May 2023.
Remarks: Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
IJM holds strict safeguarding principles and a zero tolerance to violations of the Safeguarding Policy, Protection against Sexual Exploitation, Abuse and Harassment Policy and Code of Conduct. Parallel to technical competence, recruitment, selection and hiring decisions will give due emphasis to assessing the candidates value congruence and thorough background, police clearance and reference check processes.