Who We Are
International Justice Mission (IJM) is the global leader in protecting people living in poverty in the developing world. Our global team of over 1,000 professionals are at work in over 25 countries. Together, we are catalyzing a global movement that will rescue millions, protect half a billion, and make justice for people living in poverty unstoppable.
Motivated by our call to seek justice for the oppressed, we believe that the way we work is as important as the results we achieve. We are a global community that cares for one another. We value joy and celebration, and we strive to provide professional excellence to all those we serve.
IJM is seeking a talented Security Coordinator for its new project in Colombia, to provide technical and operational support in security management to the Security Manager, Colombia (SM). IJM’s project will assess the prevalence and nature of violence affecting vulnerable communities in the Catatumbo region of Colombia, in particular the municipality of Tibú. The Security Coordinator will help implement sound security practices and protocols designed by the SM; assist the SM oversee the safety and security of IJM staff; and minimize operational risks. He/she will support the SM conduct robust security assessment of the project area, by identifying and evaluating threats to the safety and security of staff, reporting to the SM any security improvements needed to IJM’s facilities, reporting on the safety of the office and staff traveling to conduct site visits to communities in Tibú and possibly other communities outside of Bogota and Cúcuta. The ideal candidate will have experience in physical, protective and operational security. This position is based in Bogota, however, frequent travel to Cúcuta is to be expected. The Security Coordinator will report to the Security Manager, Colombia and may receive technical oversight from the Regional Security Officer, Latin America (RSO).
This position is open to qualified Colombian nationals and will be based in Bogota, Colombia. The position will require frequent travel between Bogota, Cúcuta, Tibú, and other parts of Colombia. The term for this position will be immediate through October 31, 2021.
Support Office Safety and Security
- Support the coordination and implementation of security strategies and operational protocols for IJM Colombia office personnel and assets, in compliance with IJM Global Security Standards.
- Provide input and implement security, evacuation, and contingency plans for IJM’s office in Bogota. As needed and recommended by the SM, assist with security, evacuation, and contingency plans for IJM’s office in Cucuta.
- Conduct reviews and inspections of security procedures, policies and systems as directed by the SM.
Threat Analysis & Response
- Identify and report to the SM threats to the safety and security of field office staff and assets and help develop preventive and mitigation strategies.
- Prepare threat assessments for safety and security reviews led by the SM.
- Review risk mitigation strategies and operational security plans for field work.
- Monitor the safety and security of staff in Bogota. Support the SM monitor staff traveling to communities in the Catatumbo region or outside of Bogota and Cúcuta.
Operational Support & Crisis Management
- Assist the SM monitor office access control mechanisms for IJM premises.
- Design, implement, and train staff on evacuation procedures (fire, medical, political, disaster) and ensure office compliance with fire regulations and building safety codes.
- Provide on-the-ground technical support to the SM in response to critical incidents and emergent threats.
- Help ensure security requirements are met for special events, including visits by donors, constituents and IJM executives, etc.
- Support the SM assess the security of external locations where IJM will be hosting events.
- Maintain updated staff communication plans and procedures (phone-trees,recall rosters, etc.).
- Monitor the location and verify the safety of field office staff.
- Gather pertinent information to the security of the IJM office, clients or staff.
- Ensure that concise, thorough and timely written reports are produced for all security-related activities.
- Implement and ensure adherence of protocols for employees, visitors and vendors coming into the office.
- Under the direction of the SM, orient new staff, interns, fellows, volunteers and other visitors on safety and security issues related to local context, the office and specific project areas.
- Provide support to the SM to ensure security and contingency plans are incorporated into all IJM programming and a culture of security awareness is inculcated among staff.
- Work with the custodian of security related equipment to replace or repair equipment according to the direction of the SM.
Required Skills and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in security management or related field.
- Minimum 2 years’ experience in supporting security operations, preferably for non-profit or international organizations; and physical, protective, and operational security (relevant law enforcement and/or military experience will be considered).
- Proven ability to successfully implement tactical security operations in the field.
- Experience in the analysis of security threats, risks and vulnerability in Colombia.
- Experience in emergencies and crisis management.
- Experience working in a multi-disciplinary, cross-cultural environment.
- Strong oral and written communications skills.
- Fluent in oral and written Spanish.
- Computer literate with a high level of proficiency in Microsoft Word and Outlook.
- Valid driver’s license.
- Committed team player, able to develop effective working relationships in multi-disciplinary, cross-cultural teams.
- Willingness to work under potentially hazardous conditions.
- Ability to work effectively under stress.
- Effective multi-tasker, attentive to detail and disciplined with priorities.
- Self-starter with strong initiative.
- Pro-active, creative problem solver.
- Unassailable honesty and integrity.
- Ability to work independently.
- Strong service ethic and a passion for IJM’s mission and goals.
Travel and Time Requirements
- This position requires frequent travel within Colombia. Periodic extended stays in Cúcuta, Tibú and/or other parts of the Catatumbo Region are to be expected. Additionally, the position requires flexible hours with the possibility of working nights and weekends.
- Competitive salary with benefits; salary dependent on relevant experience and skills that the candidate brings to the position.
Please send your CV/resume and cover letter, expressing your interest in working for IJM to Liza Ordonez: email@example.com