Who We Are
International Justice Mission (IJM) is the global leader in protecting people living in poverty in the developing world. Our global team of over 1,000 professionals are at work in over 25 countries. Together, we are catalyzing a global movement that will rescue millions, protect half a billion, and make justice for people living in poverty unstoppable.
Motivated by our call to seek justice for the oppressed, we believe that the way we work is as important as the results we achieve. We are a global community that cares for one another. We value joy and celebration, and we strive to provide professional excellence to all those we serve.
IJM is seeking an experienced Security Manager for its new project in Cúcuta, Colombia, to provide technical and operational expertise in security management. The project will assess the prevalence and nature of violence affecting vulnerable communities in the Catatumbo region of Colombia, in particular the municipality of Tibú. The Security Manager will design and coordinate the implementation of sound security practices; enhance the safety and security of IJM staff; and minimize operational risks. To effectively cover these areas of security management, he/she will receive operational and technical support from the Security Coordinator (SC) and supervise their work. The Security Manager will lead a robust security assessment of the project area, developing risk mitigation plans and protocols, making recommendations for security improvements to IJM’s facilities, monitoring the safety of the office and staff traveling to conduct site visits to communities in Tibú and possibly other communities outside of Bogota and Cúcuta. The ideal candidate will have experience in physical, protective and operational security. This position is based in Cúcuta and reports to the IJM Field Presence Director, Colombia (FPD) and receives technical oversight from the Regional Security Officer, Latin America (RSO).
This position is open to qualified Colombian nationals and will be based in Cúcuta, Colombia. The position will require frequent travel between Bogota, Cúcuta, Tibú, and other parts of Colombia. The term for this position will be immediate through October 31, 2021.
Lead Office Safety and Security Strategies
- Develop and implement comprehensive security strategies and operational protocols for IJM Colombia office personnel and assets, in compliance with IJM Global Security Standards.
- Design and implement security, evacuation, and contingency plans.
- Conduct recurring reviews and inspections of security procedures, policies and systems, with the support of the SC.
- Maintain detailed records of field office security work, policies and protocols.
Threat Analysis & Response
- Identify and evaluate threats to the safety and security of field office staff and assets and develop preventive and mitigation strategies.
- Provide guidance and recommendations to field office staff and leadership for the safety, security and protection of staff.
- Evaluate threat assessments prepared by the SC and conduct safety and security reviews.
- Develop, implement and review risk mitigation strategies and operational security plans for field work.
- Monitor the safety and security of staff traveling to conduct site visits in communities in the Catatumbo region or outside of Bogota and Cúcuta.
- Debrief security related critical incidents with the RSO and IJM Global Security.
Operational Support & Crisis Management
- Establish and monitor office access control mechanisms for IJM premises.
- Lead in the selection/training of field office and contract security personnel, vendors and contractors.
- Provide guidance for the SC to design, implement, and train staff on evacuation procedures (fire, medical, political, disaster) and ensure office compliance with fire regulations and building safety codes.
- Provide on-the-ground expertise in response to critical incidents and emergent threats, providing input to field office leadership on its management.
- Monitor national and regional security incident reporting, guiding the appropriate dissemination of information during emergencies, and assuring all reportable incidents are submitted according to IJM policies.
- Develop, maintain and leverage key relationships with government, commercial and NGO security professionals in Colombia.
- Manage security requirements for special events, including visits by donors, constituents and IJM executives, etc.
- Assess the security of external locations where IJM will be hosting events.
- Maintain updated staff communication plans and procedures (phone-trees, recall rosters, etc.).
- Ensure that concise, thorough and timely written reports are produced for all security-related activities.
- Design protocols for employees, visitors and vendors coming into the office. Oversee the effective implementation of the protocols by the SC.
- Design a safety and security training plan for the field office staff in alignment with IJM Security training requirements (strong focus on travel, personal security awareness, security of operations, and safety and occupational health).
- Orient new staff, interns, fellows, volunteers and other visitors on safety and security issues related to local context, the office and specific project areas.
- Ensure security and contingency plans are incorporated into all IJM programming and a culture of security awareness is inculcated among staff.
- Assess and provide recommendations on security related equipment for the office and the field.
- Liaise with the RSO to provide regular reporting and updates on security issues in Colombia.
- Participate in IJM programs promoting professional growth and wellness.
Required Skills and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in security management, development, administration or related field.
- Minimum 5 years’ experience in managing security operations, preferably for non-profit or international organizations; and physical, protective, and operational security (relevant law enforcement and/or military experience will be considered).
- Proven ability to design, successfully implement and review tactical security operations in the field.
- Expertise in the analysis of security threats, risks and vulnerability in Colombia.
- Experience in emergencies and crisis management.
- Experience working in a multi-disciplinary, cross-cultural environment.
- Strong oral and written communications skills.
- Fluent in oral and written English, preferred.
- Fluent in oral and written Spanish.
- Computer literate with a high level of proficiency in Microsoft Word and Outlook.
- Valid driver’s license.
- Committed team player, able to develop effective working relationships in multi-disciplinary, cross-cultural teams.
- Willingness to work under potentially hazardous conditions.
- Ability to work effectively under stress.
- Effective multi-tasker, attentive to detail and disciplined with priorities.
- Self-starter with strong initiative.
- Pro-active, creative problem solver.
- Unassailable honesty and integrity.
- Ability to work independently.
- Strong service ethic and a passion for IJM’s mission and goals.
- Diplomatic and flexible.
Travel and Time Requirements
- This position requires frequent travel within Colombia. Periodic extended stays in Bogota, Tibú and/or other parts of the Catatumbo Region are to be expected. Additionally, the position requires flexible hours with the possibility of working nights and weekends.
- Competitive salary with benefits; salary dependent on relevant experience and skills that the candidate brings to the position;
- Please send your CV/resume and cover letter, expressing your interest in working for IJM to Liza Ordonez: firstname.lastname@example.org