Who We Are
International Justice Mission (IJM) is the global leader in protecting vulnerable people from violence around the world. Our global team of over 1,200 professionals are at work in 33 offices. Together, we are catalyzing a global revolution that will rescue millions, protect half a billion, and make justice unstoppable.
Motivated by God’s call to seek justice for the oppressed, we believe that the way we work is as important as the results we achieve. We are a global community that cares for one another. We value joy and celebration, and we strive to provide professional excellence to all those we serve.
After almost 25 years of continued growth and operational success in pioneering the work of protecting those who are experiencing poverty from violence, IJM has become a $100+ million organization. As IJM continues this trajectory of growth and scaling of its impact, with the Vision to protect 500 million people by the year 2030, IJM is seeking an Associate Director on Justice System Strengthening for our Country Office in Colombia.
The Associate Director on Justice System Strengthening serves as the foremost subject-matter expert on Criminal Justice and the Rule of Law. Consequently, this expert will substantially contribute to the strategic and programmatic development and implementation of the IJM Colombia project.
Under the Country Director’s supervision and in close cooperation with other team members, this Associate Director is responsible for interacting with Government and Non-Government actors, including high and mid-ranking Justice System Officials, in order to achieve that the Colombian justice institutions are more efficient and effective in the investigation, prosecution and punishment of crimes especially those related with violence against women and children.
This position is based at IJM Colombia Office and reports to the Country Director.
- Build and maintain strategic relationships with key decision-makers and policymakers to achieve IJM Colombia's objectives at the national and local levels.
- Develop policy statements, guidelines and strategies to impact governmental and legislative activity according to the mission of IJM.
- Identify opportunities to mobilize and empower communities and civil society to drive awareness about violence against women and children and other topics related to the IJM mission.
- Led the development of legislative and public policy solutions that achieve a high level of impact over the performance and functioning of Colombian justice and security institutions.
- Led the identification and development of partnerships with key actors at the national and local levels on the topics related to the IJM mission.
- Participate in inter-agency working groups and initiatives to promote the IJM mission.
- Serve as liaison with national and local government counterparts and stakeholders.
- Design strategies to activate stakeholders, partners and relevant actors and identify potential opportunities to achieve the IJM purposes.
- Follow-up of legislative, policy, and regulatory initiatives related to IJM’s interest.
- Oversee the implementation of M&E processes in their component
- Master’s degree in Law, Economy, Business Administration, Political Science, Public Policy or related field.
- Bachelor's degree in Law, Economy, Business Administration, Political Science, Public Policy or related field required.
- At least 10 years of proven progressive experience working on government affairs, developing strategic political solutions to complex and critical problems with the Colombian government and local institutions and linking non-governmental actors, the academy, development agencies and other strategic actors. Experience in strengthening Justice and Citizen Security Systems will be highly valued.
- At least 5 years of progressive experience in legislative, governmental or community affairs and in implementing projects to strengthen the capacities of the national and local institutions. Experience in strengthening Justice and Citizen Security Systems will be highly valued.
- Experience working effectively cross-culturally.
- Passion for IJM’s mission
- Analytical and critical thinking skills.
- Teamwork and team management.
- Ability to advise high-level officials.
- Good project development and implementation skills.
- Demonstrated gender awareness and sensitivity, and an ability to integrate a gender perspective into tasks and activities.
- Fully fluent in Spanish and proficient in English, both written and spoken.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills and emotional intelligence.
- Strategic thinking.
- Mature, professional leader.
- Ability to work in a team and to establish and maintain effective working relationships with people of different national and cultural backgrounds
- Unfailing integrity and honesty
What does IJM have to offer?
- The position will be hired as a full-time labour contract, including all Colombia Colombia labour benefits.
- IJM Colombia operates under grant funds which ensure funding until December 31, 2022. Consequently, the continuity of the employment contracts of IJM Colombia officials beyond the date will depend on the confirmation of additional funding and will require prior written confirmation by IJM.
- The candidate must be a resident and have the legal capacity to work in Colombia.
- Only those candidates who meet the requirements for the position will be contacted.
Send your resume and cover letter in a single document to the following email address: firstname.lastname@example.org