Who We Are
IJM is the global leader in protecting the poor from violence in the developing world. Our global team of over 1,200 professionals are at work in 33 offices over 25 countries. Together, we are catalyzing a global movement that will rescue millions, protect half a billion, and make justice for the poor unstoppable.
Motivated by God’s call to seek justice for the oppressed, we believe that the way we work is as important as the results we achieve. We are a global community that cares for one another. We value joy and celebration, and we strive to provide professional excellence to all those we serve.
IJM is seeking a qualified, creative and committed professional Senior Coordinator, Communications and Media to develop and distribute compelling story content and key messages in both Khmer and English for national, regional, and global audiences, as well as develop and nurture relationships with local media outlets to amplify the successes of IJM and our government partners to domestic audiences. This position is responsible for initiating an effective and efficient communications plan to amplify the impact of IJM Cambodia’s progress and success in labor trafficking, increase buy-in to IJM’s model and theory of change, and deliver communications that empower survivors and give them a strong voice to activate change. This role guides planning, coordination, management, and delivery of IJM Cambodia's strategic communications creative content development and media engagement. This role will also ensure brand and messaging alignment across all publications, stories, and collaterals produced in IJM Cambodia. The position is also responsible for more complex, urgent, or crucial translation projects to enable leaders and other staff to work effectively within the project.
This position is based in Phnom Penh, Cambodia and reports to the Head of Planning Team.
Strategy & Development & Regional Coordination:
- In consultation with FO leadership and IJM global communications staff, develop and execute a communications plan designed to elevate IJM’s program visibility and the impact of program success in both Khmer and English mediums.
- Design and deliver a simple and compelling communications strategy for IJM Cambodia;
- Liaise effectively with communications counterparts in Bangkok, the Regional Hub, and IJM Global, provide timely support for global and regional initiatives, and support field office communications.
- Creation of communications content by the strategic plan, delivery of content through multiple formats, tracking labor trafficking coverage related to Cambodia.
- Liaise with IJM Cambodia program staff and partners to identify story ideas;
- Manage the production of compelling story packages (narratives and images) that can be shared on IJM’s website and social media platforms;
- Develop story resources for external publication and internal use by IJM Cambodia, Regional Hub, and Global Communications teams aligned with the branding guidelines;
- Manage social media platforms by ensuring that contents are up to date and increasing understanding of the impact and importance of the work;
- Provide quality assurance for communications resources based on approved global corporate identity and branding.
Domestic Media Engagement:
- Engage with local media, pitch content leads, and assist with the development of stories that amplify the work of IJM and its local partners.
- Build and nurture contacts with key local media outlets;
- Identify opportunities to feature casework successes in domestic media channels;
- Pitch story leads to local journalists and broker connections to involved staff/partners for interview;
- Actively monitor, compile, and analyze justice-related news (human trafficking, migration, etc. from print, broadcast, and digital media (websites and social media).
Training and Development:
- Facilitate orientation and training for staff and, as necessary, partners on communications, storytelling, messaging, and media and brand guidelines.
- Build the capacity of caseworkers and field staff to supply sufficient and quality information and resources to build news and stories that showcase various aspects of IJM’s unique and transformative work;
- Ensure IJM Cambodia staff engaged in public speaking have access to adequate visual support for storytelling on global and local content databases.
- Ensure that all staff are well-informed and able to comfortably access quality communications assets and contents that reflect the work in IJM in Cambodia and are appropriately tailored for unique channels, audiences, and objectives.
- Manage the coordination and prioritization of creative projects and content across the organization;
- Ensure adequate documentation of communications assets in an internal and shared platform (DAML) that are up to date, quality, and ready for use for the IJM program.
- Bachelor’s degree in Arts/Humanities, Communications, Journalism, Marketing or a related field, or equivalent work experience;
- Three years’ professional experience in story writing, internal messaging development, and editing desirable;
- Portfolio of excellent published work that demonstrates expertise, creativity, and ability to fit varying audiences;
- Experience coordinating or managing communications or storytelling projects desirable;
- Experience working and networking with the media an advantage;
- Experience in Khmer-English translation of legal/technical text and real-time oral translation in meetings and speaking engagements required;
- Exceptional ability in writing, storytelling, and editing;
- Photography and video clip shooting skills;
- Excellent translation skills;
- Good grasp of digital media – news site, websites, blogs, FB, Instagram, and Twitter;
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office applications, particularly Word, Excel, and PowerPoint;
- Good media relations background.
- Self-starter with strong initiative;
- Disciplined with priorities;
- Strong interpersonal skills and self-awareness;
- Exceptional verbal and written communication;
- Flexible, collaborative and eager to support others;
- Effective team player who fosters collaborative environment; and
- Adept at creative problem solving.
- Deadline: Open until the position is filled.
- Only completed applications will be reviewed. A completed application includes:
- Job Application Form, Resume, Cover Letter & Statement of Faith*
- Download Application Form: here
- A completed application can be submitted to cambodiarecruiting@IJM.org
*Note: Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for an interview within two to four weeks.
*What is a statement of faith?
A statement of faith should describe your Christian faith and how you see it as relevant to your involvement with IJM. The statement can either be incorporated into the cover letter or submitted as a separate document and should include, at a minimum, a description of your spiritual disciplines (prayer, study, etc.) and your current fellowship or place of worship.