Who We Are
IJM is the global leader in protecting the poor from violence in the developing world. Our global team of over 1,200 professionals are at work in 33 offices over 25 countries. Together, we are catalyzing a global movement that will rescue millions, protect half a billion, and make justice for the poor unstoppable.
Motivated by God’s call to seek justice for the oppressed, we believe that the way we work is as important as the results we achieve. We are a global community that cares for one another. We value joy and celebration, and we strive to provide professional excellence to all those we serve.
IJM is seeking a qualified, creative and committed professional Senior Coordinator, Government Relations, on counter-trafficking in person, to steward government relations with a focus on strategic policy advocacy, and capacity-building initiatives in Cambodia. This position will support IJM’s government engagement strategy to deliver rapid and sustainable system reform and increased protection of Cambodian vulnerable to forced labor slavery, mainly labor trafficking. This position also builds and maintains the relationships and represent IJM’s interest with the Cambodian government, support the Legal and Policy Engagement (LPE) team to conduct legal and policy research, as well as achieve its strategic plan effectively including development and/or support LPE’s projects with government.
This position is based in Phnom Penh, Cambodia and reports to the Head, Legal and Policy Engagement.
Networking and Partnership:
- Lead LPE’s government activities by building positive relationships with key government officials and/or institutions both national and sub-national to achieve IJM’s goal/interest;
- Manage and attend national-level meetings/engagements invited by government in aiming to provide public policy input that provides the impact to IJM mission;
- Advise IJM/LPE on how to strategically work and cooperate with key government officials;
- Alongside with the FOD and Head of LPE, serve as a key external communicator within the Cambodian Counter-Trafficking space;
- Build and sustain close relationships with relevant influential officials through consistent communication paving the way for IJM program staff for future engagements.
Strategy & Knowledge Development & Implementation:
- Identify strategies to engage key government officials and/or institutions in public policy inputs that further IJM Cambodia’s goal of rapidly improve the Cambodian government’s response to labor trafficking, forced labor slavery;
- Support LPE and/or IJM teams in their own lobbying efforts through expert advice and by opening doors with key government officials and/or institutions;
- Drive the LPE and IJM teams for greater efficiency in achievement of its strategic plan and program goals.
Research, Program Management and M&E:
- Conduct research and monitor news media and government sources for potential changes in regulatory and legislative areas relevant to IJM’s program;
- Collect human trafficking data from the relevant stakeholder government and identify strategies to gain access to the government human trafficking data that IJM needs.
Training and Development:
- Plan, develop and execute a comprehensive training curriculums and policy advocacy pursuant to human trafficking issue and present the key findings to influence government;
- Manage and carry on existing IJM projects with various government agencies;
- Identify gaps and develops strategic plans to advocate with key officials or institutions;
- Work collaboratively with other relevant NGOs or agencies to achieve common goals in legal and policy advocacy to the government;
- Collaborate and coordinate with relevant government stakeholders to equip Public Justice System (PJS) officials on human trafficking case through training, workshop, or other events.
- Bachelor and/or Master of Law, Economics, Government and International Relations, International Development, Political Science, or a related field;
- Minimum of three years’ experience in a related field;
- Experience in managing projects involving multiple agencies/partners strongly preferred;
- Demonstrated competence in team building and strategic planning;
- Exceptional interpersonal skills including ability to build professional relationships with government;
- Demonstrated ability to communicate and respond to variety of stakeholders and LPE/IJM needs as well as exercise leadership and diplomacy amongst diverse perspectives and priorities;
- Knowledge of national and international legal framework related to human trafficking and/or a related field;
- Excellent analytical, critical thinking, and problem-solving skills;
- Professional presentation in demeanor and written and spoken communication;
- Knowledge of applicable international/UN/ILO trafficking instruments, Regional/ multilateral/bilateral TIP treaties, and specific TIP law and procedure in the region;
- Excellent knowledge of written and spoken English and Khmer.
- Self-starter with strong initiative;
- Disciplined with priorities;
- Strong interpersonal skills and self-awareness;
- Exceptional verbal and written communication;
- Flexible, collaborative and eager to support others;
- Effective team player who fosters collaborative environment; and
- Adept at creative problem solving.
- Deadline: Open until the position is filled.
- Only completed applications will be reviewed. A completed application includes:
- Job Application Form, Resume, Cover Letter & Statement of Faith*
- Download Application Form: here
- A completed application can be submitted to cambodiarecruiting@IJM.org
*Note: Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for an interview within two to four weeks.
*What is a statement of faith?
A statement of faith should describe your Christian faith and how you see it as relevant to your involvement with IJM. The statement can either be incorporated into the cover letter or submitted as a separate document and should include, at a minimum, a description of your spiritual disciplines (prayer, study, etc.) and your current fellowship or place of worship.