International Justice Mission (IJM) is a global organization that protects the vulnerable from violence by partnering with government authorities to rescue victims, bring criminals to justice, restore survivors, and strengthen criminal justice systems so they protect the vulnerable from violence and abuse long-term. IJM is a global team of lawyers, social workers and other professionals. IJM has 17 field offices across the globe, including multiple offices in Southeast Asia.
IJM has worked in northern Thailand through IJM’s Chiang Mai field office (FO) since 2000, partnering with government authorities on hill tribe Thai citizenship cases and cases of sexual violence against children. In 2017, IJM will establish a new field office in Bangkok that will provide support to Thai authorities to eliminate labor trafficking and forced labor from the Thai fishing and seafood industries. IJM lawyers, fieldworkers, social workers and other professionals will support Thai law enforcement, social services and the judiciary to identify and prosecute cases of forced labor and labor trafficking crimes and restore labor trafficking survivors to safety and strength.
IJM is seeking a skilled professional with prior experience working for a Thai police agency or significant law enforcement support experience with an NGO for the Police Liaison position. This position will be responsible for serving as a coordination and communications liaison between IJM’s Director of Investigations and Law Enforcement Development (DILED) and IJM’s Thai law enforcement partners regarding cases of labor trafficking in the Thai fishing and seafood industries. The Police Liaison will ensure smooth and effective communication and coordination between IJM and Thai law enforcement officials. The position is based in Bangkok, Thailand and will require travel within Thailand. This position reports to the Bangkok Director of Investigations and Law Enforcement Development (DILED).
- Ensure smooth and effective written and spoken communications and coordination between IJM Bangkok’s Law Enforcement Coordination team and Thai law enforcement agency partners;
- Develop and maintain strong networks and professional relationships with officials from Thai law enforcement agencies to support the development, investigation, and prosecution of human trafficking cases;
- Compile and write professional-level reports in Thai and in English for submission to IJM staff or Thai government officials;
- Competently work with various databases, record management systems, communication networks, and other equipment;
- Collaborate regularly with members of IJM Bangkok’s legal, law enforcement coordination, and aftercare departments on cases;
- Develop a thorough working knowledge of relevant laws and criminal procedures regarding labor trafficking cases;
- Develop a thorough working knowledge of the methods of human traffickers and the methods and techniques used to gather information and evidence to document labor trafficking crimes effectively;
- Participate in external meetings and events as needed;
- Maintain strict confidentiality of all fieldwork, fieldwork strategies, and other privileged and sensitive information;
- Comply with all IJM and Thai government requirements;
- Carry out additional assignments as required by the DILED.
Required Skills and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Criminal Justice or other relevant field from an accredited university;
- Fluency or high proficiency in spoken and written communication in both English and in Thai;
- Exceptional written and oral communication skills;
- Prior work experience in the criminal justice sector strongly preferred;
- Prior experience providing Thai-English/English-Thai interpretation and translation strongly preferred;
- High level of proficiency with Microsoft Office applications;
- No criminal record;
- Valid driver’s license and passport (or able to obtain).
- Professional presentation in demeanor and written and spoken communication;
- Exceptionally high level of honesty and integrity;
- Excellent interpersonal skills;
- Meticulous attention to detail, sound judgment, ability to take initiative and provide constructive feedback, and strong analytical and problem-solving skills;
- Diplomatic and flexible;
- Disciplined with priorities and works well under deadline pressures;
- Excellent cross-cultural communication skills and experience or desire to work comfortably within a multi-ethnic, multi-national team;
- Sustained positive attitude;
- Passionate commitment to and understanding of IJM mission.
- Deadline: Application will be accepted until the position is filled.
- Only completed applications will be reviewed. A complete application includes: Job Application Form, CV, Cover Letter and four Professional References.