International Justice Mission (IJM) is seeking an experienced Security Manager to provide technical leadership in security management across our Uganda operations. The Security Manager, Uganda will assist IJM Field Offices in Uganda to embed sound security practices to enhance the safety and security of IJM staff, assets and programs, and minimize operational risks. This individual will provide dedicated safety and security expertise and support in Uganda that is in the best interest of IJM’s global security strategy, leadership, and individual staff members. S/he will work with the regional security director Africa to provide safety and security expertise and standards application across the IJM programs throughout Uganda, to include but not limited to: risk assessment and analysis, risk treatment plans, contingency plans, monitoring and evaluation, training and development, incident management, policy implementation, and strategic innovation,
This position will be based in Gulu, Uganda and will report to the National Director with dotted lines to the Gulu and Kampala Field Office Directors.
Lead Field Office Security Strategy
- Review, revise and implement comprehensive security strategies and operational protocols for IJM Field Offices, including evacuation and contingency plans;
- Conduct regular and ongoing reviews and inspections of current security procedures, policies and systems;
- Collaborate with field office and regional leadership to ensure Regional and Field Office security strategies appropriately support IJM program priorities.
- Create risk assessments, risk mitigation plans, monitoring systems, and evaluates the consequences of risk and risk mitigation measures;
- Produce daily and weekly security reports and had hoc reports
- Work with Regional Security Director to identify training opportunities for country staff and ensure staff has adequate time to engage in appropriate level training opportunities;
- Implement IJM Global security protocols;
- Maintain detailed records of Field Office security work and policies.
- Brief all incoming visitors on matters of security
Threat Analysis & Response
- Evaluate current political, social and climatic conditions for possible threats to the safety and security of Field Office staff;
- Provide guidance to field office staff and leadership, including recommendations for the operational safety, security and protection of staff at all times;
- Perform safety, security and threat assessments for IJM staff, clients and casework;
- Coordinate with RSD to represent IJM externally and in interagency forums;
- Support the Regional Security Manager and Global Director of Corporate Security in the implementation of Security and Threat Assessments using standard tools and processes, as and when needed; and
- Develop, implement and review risk mitigation strategies and operational security plans for field work in collaboration with other IJM teams.
Operational Support & Crisis Management
- Ensure security of IJM staff and clients, ensure implementation of all security protocols;
- Work with Regional Security Director to establish and monitor office access control mechanisms for IJM premises;
- Assist in the selection/supervision of office guards, where relevant;
- Ensure compliance with fire regulations and train FO staff in building evacuation plans;
- Provide on-the-ground leadership in response to critical incidents in the country, and provide input to office and country leadership on crisis management;
- Monitor national and regional security incident reporting and ensure appropriate dissemination of information during emergencies;
- Manage security requirements for special events, including Trips to the Field visits by donors, VIPs, etc.;
- Provide early warning updates and mitigation expertise to the country offices;
- Manage the incident impact on the Field Office
- Support the Regional Security Director, Global Security Director and Country Directors with incident response, reporting and post-incident action and follow-up;
- Work with the Regional Security Director to conduct yearly drills and scenario exercises to build incident response capacities in the field;
- Monitor the location and verify the safety of staff in the field;
- Conduct surveillance and counter surveillance to identify possible threats to staff, client or office safety;
- Gather intelligence pertinent to the security of the IJM office, clients or staff;
- Ensure that concise, thorough and timely written reports are provided on all security-related activities.
- Develop, maintain and manage a network of operatives and informants
- Attend Security briefings and prepare operational reports.
- Monitor communication and operations
- Train field office staff in security strategies and operational and travel protocols;
- Ensure security and contingency plans are incorporated into IJM programming in the country;
- Facilitate communication to ensure field office staff are equipped with adequate knowledge, tools and resources to comply with security protocols and best practices throughout the country.
- IJM-internal coordination
- Liaise with Field Office Director, Regional Security Director and Global Director of Corporate Security to provide regular reporting and updates on security issues in the region.
- Participate in IJM programs of professionalism and Christian spiritual formation.
- Any other duty assigned by the Field Office Director
Required Skills and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in security management or related field;
- Minimum 3 years’ experience in managing security operations, preferably for non-profit or international organizations;
- Proven ability to design, implement and review tactical security operations in the field;
- Expertise in the analysis of security threats, risks and vulnerability.
- Experience in crisis management preferred;
- Experience in security guard/contractor supervision preferred;
- Experience in VIP and/or witness protection preferred;
- Experience working in multi-disciplinary, cross-cultural environment;
- Experience in program management and strategic planning preferred;
- Strong oral and written communications skills;
- Fluent in oral and written English Kiswahili
- Computer literate with a high level of proficiency in Microsoft Word and Outlook;
- After initial three months, position will require the Security Manager to travel to all IJM office within Uganda as required.
- Mature orthodox Christian faith as defined by the Apostles’ Creed;
- Professional demeanor;
- Attention to detail and disciplined with priorities;
- Patient; work well under stress;
- Personable; sustained positive attitude;
- Diplomatic and flexible;
- Effective team player and decisive leader; and
- Able to achieve goals in a cross-cultural setting.
- Committed team player, able to develop effective working relationships in multi-disciplinary, cross-cultural teams;
- Self-starter with strong initiative;
- Pro-active, creative problem solver;
- Exceptionally high levels of honesty and integrity;
- Ability to work independently;
- Strong service ethic and a passion for IJM’s goals;
The mission of International Justice Mission is to protect people from violent forces of injustice by securing rescue and restoration for victims and ensuring public justice systems work for the poor.
Please send your Resume, Cover Letter & statement of faith* to firstname.lastname@example.org quoting the Position Title and Vacancy Announcement No. “UGANDA/SEC/MNGR/01/ 2017” in the subject heading before 5 pm on October 2, 2017.
Applications received after the closing date and applications without all the specified/ required documents will not be given consideration. Only short listed candidates will be contacted.
*What is a statement of faith?
A statement of faith should describe your Christian faith and how you see it as relevant to your involvement with IJM. The statement can either be incorporated into the cover letter or submitted as a separate document and should include, at a minimum, a description of your spiritual disciplines (prayer, study, etc.) and your current fellowship or place of worship.