International Justice Mission, Cebu Field Office, seeks a qualified, dedicated lawyer to partner with and support public prosecutors to secure justice for victims of commercial sexual exploitation, while also strengthening the public justice system.
- Serve as a private prosecutor of sex trafficking criminal cases, including cases incidental to sex trafficking, and obtain tangible accountability for perpetrators in court and relief for victims;
- Conduct legal research, draft pleadings, and participate in court hearings;
- Attend case conferences with partner shelters, partner government agencies, public prosecutors, and other NGOs;
- Support IJM’s law enforcement development team and police conducting law enforcement interventions;
- Support law enforcement during inquest preparations, including by providing guidance to police and social workers on victim interviewing and affidavit preparation;
- Provide legal consultation to partner agencies on sex trafficking cases, as needed;
- Collaborate with and provide legal support to DSWD in cases involving IJM clients, such as habeas corpus and involuntary commitment;
- Obtain closure orders for establishments involved in sex trafficking; and
- Assist the Director of Legal Interventions and field office leadership in evaluating and screening cases referred to the field office.
Justice System Support
- Act as a professional resource to support public prosecutors and other law enforcement partners, including by providing legal support to prosecutors prosecuting IJM-assisted cases and conducting high-impact trainings;
- Distill legal and multidisciplinary lessons from casework success and failure and propose system changes to IJM national team members, partners, and stakeholders;
- Identify and utilize strategies to increase the speed at which sex trafficking cases move through the legal system, including by addressing delays caused by court docket management, defense counsel absences, and witness absences, among others; and
- Nurture strategic partnerships with key government agencies, including the Department of Justice and Inter-Agency Council Against Trafficking (national, regional, and local).
- Participate in IJM’s spiritual formation and professional development programs;
- Update and use IJM’s Casework Tracking Management System and other monitoring and evaluation tools; and
- Perform other related duties and tasks as assigned by the Director of Legal Interventions.
Required Skills and Experience
- Member of the Integrated Bar of the Philippines in good standing;
- Excellent academic credentials;
- Minimum of one year related legal experience;
- Strong legal research, writing, and court advocacy skills;
- Fluency in oral and written i) English and ii) Cebuano or Filipino; and
- Leadership skills.
- Mature orthodox Christian faith as defined by the Apostles’ Creed;
- Strong service ethic and passion to help people suffering injustice;
- Organized, detail-oriented, and disciplined with priorities;
- Excellent interpersonal skills;
- Patient, flexible, and persistent;
- Unfailing integrity and honesty;
- Effective team player and leader;
- Works well under stress and minimal supervision;
- Punctual, manages time and resources effectively;
- Professional, diplomatic, and mature in judgment and demeanor;
- Able to work effectively and appropriately in a cross-cultural setting;
- Able to maintain confidentiality of sensitive information; and
- Able to develop creative solutions to complex problems.
- Competitive salary and benefits package.
- Position based in Metro Cebu with occasional travel throughout the Philippines.
- Position reports to the Director of Legal Interventions.
The mission of International Justice Mission is to protect the poor from violence by rescuing victims, bringing criminals to justice, restoring survivors to safety and strength, and helping local law enforcement build a safe future that lasts.
Send Job Application Form, Resume, Cover Letter & Statement of Faith*
By E-mail (preferred method):